In less than 2 weeks now I'm getting my 55G, which'll be home to:

2x Angelfish
2x Silver Dollars
2x Pearls Gouramis
1x Opaline
1x Gold Gouramis
6x Phantoms

Sound alright?

Its about 60 Inches in the end, and it should be ok in nthe beggining, because everythings so small.....I might have to give a few away later....but thats alright, I have a number of people who'd want them...

(PS, Whats Scurrvy mean? :) )

My computer is dumb so it wouldn't load the page.....I'm guessing was coo' dou'

Scurvy, also called vitamin C deficiency, is of the most serious diseases affecting teenagers today. It is caused by a dietary lack of vitamin C (ascorbic acid), a nutrient found in many fresh fruits and vegetables, particularly the citrus fruits. Ascorbic acid is important in the formation of collagen (an element of normal tissues), and any deficiency interferes with normal tissue synthesis.

as for your tank stocking...i think the silver dollars may get a little large/overpowering for a 55g

You think? I've always wanted Silver dollars...but I've never had a chance to keep em

i donno, the only time i've seen adult silver dollars in person they were wild-caughts and they were HUGE - there were 3 of them in a 55g by themselves on display...i don't know if tank raised will stay any smaller...but with 2 full grown angels and 2 full grown silver dollars, i think it is gonna look very full

maybe someone will jump in who knows more about silver dollars lol

hope you don't want plants too... silver dollars are serious "lawn-mowers"

(PS: great link abstract; that fourth testimonial :rofl: )

I dunno....What kind of live bearer is campatable with Gouramis and Angles?

Ethos said:
I dunno....What kind of live bearer is campatable with Gouramis and Angles?
[snapback]876120[/snapback]​

IDK Swordtails probably are?

guppies should also work..my angels are still fairly small (3") but they don't even look at the guppies..i have heard that i might have problems in the future with nipped fins but the guppies are large enough that they dont look too much like dinner i think

Phantoms, I'd asume would work ok? I dunno if I want phantoms either, because they seldom move...i want something alittle more..livelier.....would neons do the trick? Or would the angles eat them? I'm skipping out on the silver dollars, right now. I think I might add 2 gouramis...

Silver dollars definitely get big - they also like a school, so you would need more than 2 anyway. As to neons and angels - you hear mixed things about keeping them together, but neons are angels natural food, so I would'nt risk it. How about some rummynose tetras? They school well and look lovely. Or bloodfin tetras - they are tight schoolers and look colourful in a group as well. Just some ideas :hey:

Well, as i know from @ombomb, only fish that are stressed actaully school, so otherwise they'll just be swimming around the tank, not together. If you want neons, just buy cardinals, they're hardier and they get big enough that the angels won't eat them.

I actully kindof like the look of bloodfin tetras. But doesn't the plaine silver body get boring after a while?

Rummynose tetras have a similar shape to neon tetras and would also get eaten quite readily. Any small neon-like tetra (including young cardinals or rummies/fireheads) will get eaten by adult angels. Tetras like black phantoms don't get eaten because of their shape. Bloodfins wouldn't get eaten because of their size (though, like the rummies, young ones would). I'm not the biggest bloodfin fan but they are a decent fish and I think that if you like them you wouldn't get bored of them. However, I'd suggest a big school if you want them to have some impact on the set-up. I'd say to get at least 8 (I assume they are the silver dollars' replacement?).

You mentioned adding 2 extra gouramies. Probably not a good idea. Stick to the ones you have planned as gouramies and angels occupy the same areas in the tank and you realy don't want to over-crowd these sorts of fish. Also, I urge you to make sure the gold and opaline gouramies you want are both female, added at the same time but after the pearls and are of the same size. They are both the same species (trichogaster trichopterus) and can get rather aggressive with each other and other gouramies though it's the males that cause most trouble.

As for livebearers that would work... Guppies are risky. As is anything smaller such as mosquito fish or enlder's. Stick to platies and swordtails. Still, juveniles under 1" are at risk from adult angels. I expect you won't have adults though anyway when you first add the livebearers so this won't be an issue unless you want fry (which will get eaten). Mollies would also work, in theory, but I don't like mixing them with gouramies.

I don't recall whether or not you were going to have any bottom-dwelling fish in this tank. Maybe consider something like that as an addition to balance out the middle and, particularly, the heavily-stocked top. You'll probably want, BTW, to have plenty of floating plants or tall rooted plants in this tank to provide enough territories to keep aggression down between the gouramies, offer hiding places and also make the angels feel comfortable enough and keep aggression down if they turn out to be a pair and breed.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back