Har Har Har...

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I have found another fish I like.. The Madagascar Rainbow fish (Is that right?) It gets about 3 and a half inches in leangth, which will be long enough?
I was also thinking about some loaches? Maybe 1 or 2.

Sometimes I think too many options is a bad thing....

That particular rainbowfish (yes you did get it right) is a little nippy so may be a problem for the gouramies' feelers and possibly the angels' fins. It may, on the other hand, be fine. TBH though, you don't have room for all the fish you've listed (excluding the silver dollars obviously) and a school of 4" rainbows AND a small group of loaches (which would have to be of a non-nippy variety)... Do you like kuhlies? They'd be ideal... particularly if you are planning on sand.

Have you considered any other rainbow species? Maybe you'd be willing to skip the angels and re-think the stocking? What exactly is it you want to centre the tank around? You see, 55 gallons would work great for some of the larger rainbows... look up melanotaenia boesmani or m. lacustris in particular. Then a few yo-yo or zebra loaches could fill out the bottom layers with 4 female three-spots for the top OR a single male and maybe you'd have just about enough room for a trio of swordtails. Would be an extremely colorful and active tank.

I agree with you on the options... there's just TOO many. Still, deciding on stocking is always the fun part :) and, if you take your time with it, the result in the end is even more satisfying.

The Madagascar rainbow does best in a slightly brackish enviroment and can suffer health problems when kept in freshwater.

I'd recromend other types of Rainbows. Like New Guinea Rainbowfish (Melanotaenia affinis), Threadfish Rainbowfish (Iriatherina werneri), or Forktailer Blue eye (Pseudomugil furcatus). I think those are some pretty cool Rainbowfish.

I always thought most rainbow fish preferred slightly alkaline water, whereas the rest of your fish prefer slightly acidic. I got dwarf neon rainbows to go with angels, as they too prefer the acidic water - they are beautiful fish, blue body and red fins.

They prefer it. But with common breeding, they probably can take any type of water. Cept solid...

oppositearmor said:
They prefer it. But with common breeding, they probably can take any type of water. Cept solid...
[snapback]887221[/snapback]​

:rofl:

Um..... :blink:

Anyhow, I'm looking into rainbows now...

oppositearmor said:
Rainbow's are nice fish, though our petsmart, harmar petstore, or that one up by the high school don't have any, at least i've never seen any.

I saw some at the fridley Petco.
They had like...3 different kinds.
I wish I remembered which ones they were..

Thanks for the link you guys

Alright, quick little update.
It would've been cool if I went that route, but I didn't, I went with african cichlids.
I gave my gourmis back to the petstore....sad, sad sad.
First tropical fish I ever owned, a pearl gorumis, which I gave back.
Sad.
Just thought I'd pop in here tonight..

Well now I'm wondering somewhat off-topic but... what Africans did you get? I'm just curious :)

I have a lab, an electric johnni, 1 Electric Yellow Lab, a couple of zebras, 2 plecs (clown and common), a calvus (my be moved in a few months) and a lobster.
You can see the list in my profile, I love them.
I'm planning to get more after christmas, but I don't know.
The cool key to africans is that you over stock to even out agression.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back