Half Marathon

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

chrisbassist

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Has anyone here ever run a half marathon (or even a marathon)?

My mum died about a week ago from cancer. On the day she died, getting to the hospital was a nightmare, because traffic was starting to get diverted and jammed up because they were preparing for the half marathon the day after.

So I've decided to run it next year, in honour of my mum, and to raise as much money as possible for cancer research.

Anyone here done any long runs before that has any advice? I'm starting a training program at the gym, and they will obviously set-up a good trainin/exercise/fitness program for me to follow (I've got an appointment next week so they can look at how i'm running and show me best warmups, and best way to get to the right level. But the problem is I have other issues stopping me at the moment. I smoke (I'll be quitting on wednesday, the day after the funeral) and I eat really really unhealthily, I don't like any fruits, although there are a few juices I drink (as long as they have no bits) and there are currently not many vegetables I like. I've managed to get myself eating rice and stuff recently, which I used to hate, so I am trying, but it'll take time to get through years and years of bad habits, and forcing myself to eat things i don't like over and over until I can do it without complaining...

any tips?

im so sorry for your loss, im sure your mum would be very proud of what you`re about to do which in reality is a whole lifestyle change, ive never run any kind of marathon- nor likely would push myself forward to either,
but i often hear it said that if you make small changes and introduce them gradually you are much more likely to stick to them.
it will be very hard,but considering you`ll have your mum watching over you im sure you`ll make it through.. i wish you the very best of luck.

shelagh xxxx

never run a marathon or half one before but good luck

and very sorry for your loss

Thank you.

And as much as I appreciate the sympathy, I'm really interested in doing something for my mum,

So thanks for kind words (and any more which may be given) but this thread is more about the run, and how to do it well, also any tips on fund raising would be good too. Obviously I'll be getting a sponsorship page on the cancer research site, and I'll be using stuff from the undraising pack they provide, like running sweepstakes on my finishing time (pound per square winner gets a tenner or something like that) with all money except the prize going to cancer research. any other ideas?

Which Marathon are you running in? Always fancied doing one at some point , i've always been a fan of long distance and have always been fairly decent at it. Sort your diet out is the first thing best way to start is cutting out / down on any *treat's* such as sugary foods ( swap frosties for the cornflakes that sort of thing) take aways and things like that. If you're like me and love fizzy drinks wether it be beer or coke go for the diet options . I had a spell of around 6 months of eating crap foods and boy did it take it affect on me, now im back to my normal i feel generally a lot healthier.
Once you cut out the treats / luxurys get yaself to a decent gym , don't over do it and gradually start increasing the workload.

When you are on the treadmill or out running in the streets the most important part IMO was to sort my breathing out, take regualr breaths and get into a good ryhthm, with your breathing sorted you wont get stitches or feel sick. If you struggle to keep the breaths regular and in rythem then you are overdoing it, try slowing down and traning more.
Best way to do this is general cardio to help get your stamina up, sprining and slowing down and sprinting again is good :)

As for fundraising be cheeky and knock on random peoples door's around where you live, i did a 50miles bike ride and got a decent amount of money through just knocking on the houses around where my mum lives.

With the food you don't like theres tonnes of differernt fruit and vegetables you can try , there'll be some you like you just have to find them! I discoverd a love for spinach recently and have it with pasta quite a lot. Another thing to do is have stir fry's they're nice specially if you make you're own, use olive oil and NO salt and you'll be golden. I wack Chilli's in for good measure :)

Sorry if what ive wrotes a little all over the place just about bed time for me.

Regards

thanks for the tips...

your first question: Bath half marathon
my diet is awful, I've always been really really fussy, the smell of a banana can make me throw up, doesn't need to go anywhere near my mouth, orange, i like the tast but the texture is horrible (hence like juice with no bits) similar story with apples, the only thing i like which is considered fruit (but is really a seed) is coconut, I like a couple of veges, but not many, most stuff thats green (but not all)i hate... making progress with that though, anyway, getting there. def getting there with food, but its gonna take time...

the gym, am a member of local gym, was going 5 times a week before christmas, when my mum got worse, and my bro had a mental breakdown and got diagnosed as a manic depressive, and my grandmother in-law died (been a bit of a crap year so far) and they're gonna sort out a long term training program for me (woooo personal trainer)

drinks, yup, love fizzy, but I don't drink alcohol, I used to drink far too much, now can't stand the stuff... funny really, my dad sent me a text earlier saying I should have a brandy...

but yeah, so I think i'll address that first (or be the first MAJOR focus) start drinking water.

Sorry for the loss and hope you cope with everything ok :good:

With the running get yourself a GOOD pair of running shoes, will make a huge difference and wont do in your knee's. Running with any old trainers can cause massive problems with knees, ankles, back ect. First you will need to find out what shape foot you have and go from there, asics are very good running shoes :good: Best bet is to go to a decent sports shop and ask them to measure your feet and suggest some shoes, take note and then buy them online where they are cheaper :lol: Also note if you have a high arch in the middle your feet will slowly get flatter and become bigger so will have to get new shoes at some point, but depends on the shape of your feet really.

As for eating what sort of diet are you on now? So long as your not overweight it shouldnt be a huge problem. Obviously you will want to be working your legs ALOT so make sure your getting enough protein after each workout. Try and get it in your system within 45 mins after your workout as your body will be taking in more protein at that point. It will help a huge amount with the muscle growth and keep the pain down :lol: A fair bit of iron in your system will help keep the cramps down too.

What are you used to running now? when i was training for cross country i used to run for a bit, then have a 30 second sprint, back down for a few mins, sprint ect REALLY built up stamina but my god is it hard work :lol: Although you have a personal trainer so im sure they will be giving you all this info anyways!

Also just to add make sure you get enough sleep! sleep and protein and the most important factors are building muscle. Try and have some slow releasing protein before you sleep if you can, a hand full of nuts or something :good:

Alot of my info is based on general muscle building sorry although im sure it will help with the aching

cheers

at the moment i'm not sure, it's been a couple months since I last went to the gym. been a little distracted lately.

but before christmas I was managing an hour on treadmill averaging 5mph... but was extremely exhausted.

I maxed out at about 5 minutes of 7mph, or 20 minutes at 6mph. my full hour included about 4 10 minute bursts of 6.5ish, with a slow walk to recover between

I always used to have a bowl of cereal (like shredded wheat or similar) when I got back from gym... don't know a lot about food but does that kinda thing contain much protein?

doubt a bowl of cereal would contain much tbh. a tin of tuna contains a fair amount of protein and is easy and quick enough to eat, used to take one to the gym with me and eat it on the way back to the car :lol:

Protein powder helps alot if you dont like protein rich food, a couple of heapfulls and mix it with water/milk/juice whatever :good:

Chicken is another easy option, not processed crap though. Doesnt take long to cook a chicken breast, or cook it the day before and eat it cold.

Try and do alot of actual running outside too as its ALOT different to treadmills :nod:

The trick with running is to get a pace together, stopping and starting does your body no good and will soon exhaust you, this is for an excellent cause.

Practice on a tread mill, try 4 MPH for as long as you can, do that a few times and then increase your time a little each week.

Using a rowing machine will help build strength in your legs also.

can't do 4mph, too slow, I can walk it though...

same trouble with 5 mph, i can do it with a fast walk, but not running...

5.5mph is about my minimum speed for running.

If chicken is good, I think i'll be making myself some chicken pasta salads... with sweetcorm n stuff in there, can eat that on way back from gym (if I have a fork)

I've always found the rowing machine works the shoulders and back more than legs ...

Chickens good but can get a little boring over a wile, if you go for the protein shakes go for boditronics, theyre not the best for the amount of protein compared to some of the others but they taste great! Ive had mint chocolate , orange chocolate and rich chocolate mix's so far from them :) Alot of other brands tend to have a terrible after taste!

Try and do alot of actual running outside too as its ALOT different to treadmills :nod:

Especially in Bath, which is far too hilly for it's own good.

tell me about it
apparently the course is flat, but I don't believe a word of it, the place is built on a hill! just the centre has a large difference in altitude from one side of town to the other. glad I don't live there!

rowing machine does work most of the muscles in your body but won't do much on the legs tbh, most of it comes from your top half.

With the protein drink dont bother with the flavours, they are all rank :lol: i have the vanilla and its fine, can always add some hot chocolate powder to it if its uber rank. Most people drink it with milk because it tastes a bit strange with water but tbh im drinking it for the protein, not for the taste :lol:

Bath being too hilly :lol: :lol: Try living in Wales :p dont know the meaning of hill until you've lived here :lol:

Most reactions

trending

Back