Hagen CO2

Airwolf767

Reaction score
I am thinking about using this system for my tank but have a few questions:
1. Will one of these make a difference or will I need a couple?
2. PH problems?? I Do not want to stress fish or cause problems
3. Do you run the system 24/7 as to not alter PH?

Thank you in advance, Here is my setup if that helps

75gal
2 Emperor 400's
3 40 watt power glo bulbs
4 Large altum angels and 7 small blue rams
21 total fish
Anacharis doing okay, Amazon Sword hanging in there
Ph 6.8
Nitrate 15ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
GH 75ppm
KH 40ppm

Hi,

I'll try to answer as best I can!!

1. Hagen recommend one unit for every 20 US gallons, so you'll need 3 or 4.

2. pH issues. This can be tricky. With the lights on your plants will be utilising the CO2 and limiting the build-up of carbonic acid so the pH shouldn't drop too much. However at night the carbonic acid will build and the pH may drop considerably. You will need to measure your pH (and KH) just before lights out and lights on and note the difference. You're KH is quite low at 40 ppm and will drop furthur with CO2 injection, this low buffering capacity is likely to allow your pH to swing considerably. You may have to add a KH additive, I believe Hagen do one, I have used Kent's pH Stable to good effect. However this will increase your pH as well as your KH.

3. The Hagen system has no 'off' switch as such. You will either have to literally detatch the tubing from the canister or incorporate a valve in the tubing to allow the CO2 to flow freely out of the aquarium. Another option is to increase aeration at night to drive off the CO2.

Hope this helps!!

At night i sugest runing bubels or something to disrupt the surfice. That can release co2 naturaly. I am agenst using chemicals.

Most reactions

Back