Guppy’s stomach ruptured through his skin, what happened?!

It's about your synthetic "plants" :sad: :rolleyes::no:
Can you explain? Are they not good for aquariums? I did have a few real plants before but they died and went all limp so I went for synthetic afterwards. I tried to not go for super pointy plants. They are more leafy.

Last edited:
Can you explain? Are they not good for aquariums? I did have a few real plants before but they died and went all limp so I went for synthetic afterwards. I tried to not go for super pointy plants. They are more leafy.
Did you ever note or see artificial plants in nature ?

There's no reason to assume it was the plants, especially since the stomach was swollen beforehand. It could have been an ulcer or intestinal blockage.
Yes, I’m doubtful that it is the plants that caused this really, hence the swollen stomach prior to the open sore that had formed. Maybe it was just born with, or formed some internal issues. Like what you said. Well, at least it isn’t suffering now anyway.

BibsyBobsy said: Nope, but neither do you see Aquarium tanks in nature either…
All the more reason to provide them the very best life conditions while captive.

Is it possible to get a photo of the fake plants? It seems very unlikely that he tore himself on a fake plant

I am so sorry for your loss. To inhibit further losses, here is some information:

Behaviors:
Monitor your other fish's behavior. There could be some aggression that you aren't aware of that is severe enough to remove scales/tear open his skin.

Stress:
Fish have something called a slime coat that helps them stay safe and it is also a sign of a healthy environment. With a lot of stress, this slime coat can get thinner and thinner and your fish will be more vulnerable to immunity issues that can become severe over time (intestinal worms, ammonia burn, ammonia poisoning, digestive issues, etc).

Decor:
I am sorry to say but artificial plants can have an impact on fin/skin health; especially long finned species.

Food:
What you feed your fish matters. I will always recommend a live food diet but I understand if that is not something you can or wish to do. If your fish cannot digest a food, it will become bloated. Bloating has significant health effects, such as swim bladder disease and breathing problems. If his stomach got too bloated, it could be a reason his skin tore.

Live Plants:
As for your live plants, choosing your plants correctly will help with their survival rates. If you have low-medium light, pick plants that thrive in low-medium light. I use Fluval Planted Aquarium substrate. It helps support strong root growth and healthy leaves.

Questions I have for you:
What do you feed your fish?
What is the size of your tank?
What are your water parameters, using the liquid testing kit?

Again, I am so sorry for your loss...

Fake plants did not cause the guppy's skin to open. If it developed a sore on its belly before the skin ripped, then it had a bacterial infection that damaged the tissue and allowed it to rip open. This would have been made worse is the fish was bloated too.

Plastic plants are fine, especially nowadays when made with softer plastics.

I only mentioned it because I once saw a Rosy Barb, dashing about with a fellow barb, catch itself on a protruding plastic leaf, leaving a small wound and a brief, tiny, cloud of blood. It was a relatively minor wound, but I immediately removed all of the artificial plants I had in the tank. I noticed that some had actually become quite hard and brittle, whilst others hadn't.

So, to summarise, as your guppy was already swollen, it IS possible, (albeit remotely), that it had scratched itself, either deliberately to soothe and itch, or accidentally and ruptured the swelling.

There's no reason to assume it was the plants, especially since the stomach was swollen beforehand. It could have been an ulcer or intestinal blockage.
Yeah I’m definitely leaning more towards it being some internal issue. Hopefully the other fish will be ok, and don’t develop the same thing.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back