Guppy Tail Rotted In Less Than A Day?!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

andy36yr19

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
My guppy's tail just rotted completely throughout the day. I ordered some seachem kanaplex and it should arrive by the evening of January 22. His tail are just white strands now and I dont know how much longer he can last. If anyone knows why his tail rotted in less than a day please help. All his other tankmates are doing just fine btw

Some Pictures... he used to be very blue and now hes a grayish color

Attachments

• 1548123645166475080283275375050.jpg
    1548123645166475080283275375050.jpg
    637.6 KB · Views: 391
  • 15481236850071773515893170028111.jpg
    15481236850071773515893170028111.jpg
    703 KB · Views: 365
My guppy's tail just rotted completely throughout the day. I ordered some seachem kanaplex and it should arrive by the evening of January 22. His tail are just white strands now and I dont know how much longer he can last. If anyone knows why his tail rotted in less than a day please help. All his other tankmates are doing just fine btw

I doubt it is just rot, if it happened that quickly: is another fish shredding it?

Have you tested the tank water for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate & pH?

Ammonia and low pH can do that.

There is no red marks/ lines on the tail so it is unlikely to be a bacterial infection.

You should test the water for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate & pH.

Then do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate each day for a week. Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it is added to the tank.

If the tank has been running for more than 2 months, then clean the filter if it hasn't been done in the last 2 weeks. Wash filter materials in a bucket of tank water.

--------------------------
Kanaplex (Kanamycin) is a strong anti-biotic that was designed for people and should only be used as a last resort to treat known bacterial infections that have not responded to normal fish medications. Improper use or mis-use of anti-biotics can lead to drug resistant bacteria that can kill people, animals, birds and fish.

If you use that anti-biotic without checking the water quality, you will be wasting your money.

Anti-biotics like Kanamycin will wipe out filter bacteria and you should monitor the ammonia and nitrite levels during and after use.

Test the water and do water changes for a few days and see if it helps. If it does then return the Kanaplex and keep doing water changes.

To prevent any further infection, try adding aquarium salt and other medications.

Most reactions

trending

Back