Guppy - More Sickness

Egmel

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I spied one of my guppies had dodgy poo yesterday morning, it was whitish translucent and had a bit of what looked like undigested food stuck in it and was definitely more stringy than the healthy poo of the others.

This guppy is now very lethargic, it rests on the bottom of the tank or on any surface it can find :-( It has been feigning interest in eating but I haven't actually seen it get anything.

My guess is internal parasites or bacteria, I can't see any noticeable swelling or redness around the anus, though I can't remember which this indicates :blush:

My ammonia/nitrite is at zero, nitrates are about 20ppm and the pH about 7.6. KH ~ 8degrees and GH ~ 14 degrees (yup liquid rock near as damn it!)

In the tank are 5 male guppies and 2 pitbull plecs.

Should I treat it or is it too late? If so what with(UK based)? Should I treat the entire tank or just him in a hospital tank? The other 4 guppies are active and fattening up nicely :) If I do treat the whole tank will it kill off the good bacteria I've been building up so carefully?!!

Thanks in advance for all your help.

I spied one of my guppies had dodgy poo yesterday morning, it was whitish translucent and had a bit of what looked like undigested food stuck in it and was definitely more stringy than the healthy poo of the others.

This guppy is now very lethargic, it rests on the bottom of the tank or on any surface it can find :-( It has been feigning interest in eating but I haven't actually seen it get anything.

My guess is internal parasites or bacteria, I can't see any noticeable swelling or redness around the anus, though I can't remember which this indicates :blush:

My ammonia/nitrite is at zero, nitrates are about 20ppm and the pH about 7.6. KH ~ 8degrees and GH ~ 14 degrees (yup liquid rock near as damn it!)

In the tank are 5 male guppies and 2 pitbull plecs.

Should I treat it or is it too late? If so what with(UK based)? Should I treat the entire tank or just him in a hospital tank? The other 4 guppies are active and fattening up nicely :) If I do treat the whole tank will it kill off the good bacteria I've been building up so carefully?!!

Thanks in advance for all your help.

male orfemale...?? if female she may be miscarring

Is it a female guppy as when they abort it can look like that like a neck lace with beads.

Is it a female guppy as when they abort it can look like that like a neck lace with beads.
Nope all male guppies.

He passed away yesterday evening :-( I don't seem to be having much luck with guppies, now his companion is lethargic too :shout:

guppies nowadays are quite fragile...I rather choose those not-so-beautiful ones....they're more hardy... how's your guppies doing?

guppies nowadays are quite fragile...I rather choose those not-so-beautiful ones....they're more hardy... how's your guppies doing?
The shorter the tail the longer they seem to live! :shout: I expect to have 3 left when I get home tonight. Hopefully my bf is picking up some meds on his way home so we can prevent the rest of them passing on. :unsure:

I tried to pick less fancy ones this time round, I'm not sure if it's helped or not. :-(

I expect to have 3 left when I get home tonight.
Well I still have 4 left :) unfortunately the 4th has protruding scales, and although more lively than this morning I'm not holding out much hope. Especially as we couldn't get any meds this evening :sad:

I gave up on guppys too.
It sounds like they have internal parasites if the poo was translucent.
Check the anus of the fish to see if its enlarged or red and inflamed.
Make sure you can see nothing prutruding in and out of the anus.
Have any of the fish gone thin or look bloated.

http://www.skepticalaquarist.com/docs/health/nematodes.shtml

I gave up on guppys too.
It sounds like they have internal parasites if the poo was translucent.
Check the anus of the fish to see if its enlarged or red and inflamed.
Make sure you can see nothing prutruding in and out of the anus.
Have any of the fish gone thin or look bloated.

http://www.skepticalaquarist.com/docs/health/nematodes.shtml
Well there's just one sick fish now, it has raised scales on its back but is looking better and livelier than it did the other day. I've just started a course of Interpet No. 9 Internal Bacteria, this was the one that best matched the symptoms and seemed to be the only one available in the area. I can't find what the 'active ingredient' is but it says it's safe on filter bacteria so I'm treating the whole tank as this is the 5th sick/dead guppy over 3 weeks so if there's something in the water then I'd like to get rid of it! (I know this isn't always the best plan and that sometimes it's best to let the fish fight it off for themselves but I've lost too many already :-( )

Anyway, fingers crossed :unsure:

Good luck.
Once scales stick out bad news as its organ failure.
You could try an epson salt bath.

Ok that not to bad then, epson salt is good it helps draw the fluids out.

Ok that not to bad then, epson salt is good it helps draw the fluids out.
Unfortunately my guppies are in with my plecs so I'm not sure if salt is a good idea.

To top it all off I spied today that one of the other guppies has come down with white spot :shout: So when the the bacterial med has had a chance to do its stuff I'll have to get some anti-ich med. (probably next weekend) Any recommendations? I've got MT snails and I'd prefer one that doesn't dye the tank/decor blue/green!

You will have to take the bacteria med out whitespot is a killer left untreated, you will lose all the fish if you don't treat it.
Yes you will have to move the snails.
Meant a epson salt bath for the guppy.

You will have to take the bacteria med out whitespot is a killer left untreated, you will lose all the fish if you don't treat it.
Ok, but I don't like the idea of not finishing the course of Antibiotics, super bugs and all that. I won't be able to get the white spot med until Monday anyway so I may just leave it until Tuesday, add carbon to the filter for a few hours and then start the ich treatment. That way I'll finish the antibiotics before starting the ich treatment.
Yes you will have to move the snails.
:lol: I don't see them much let alone be able to get them all out and into another tank! Are there no ich meds which are safe on snails?
Meant a epson salt bath for the guppy.
Ahh a salt bath

Most reactions

Back