Guppy Female Stomach Ripped Open. Fry Hanging Out. What Now?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Elisanet

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
I need help on what to do now. I found my female guppy hanging at the top of the aquarium with all her fry hanging out and her stomach open. Do I euthanize her? Do I save her fry somehow? Can she heal from this?

Has anyone ever had this before and does someone know what happened?

Attachments

• DSC_0038.jpg
    DSC_0038.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 1,810
  • DSC_0022.jpg
    DSC_0022.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 1,832
I just realized I put anti internal bacteria medication in the tank, twice, could this have anything to do with her stomach being open?

I think I've seen a post like this before on here. Not sure the fry will survive, no, but its possible she might?
I'll try to find the other post.

She may have been too small to hold the fry.  The fry seem underdeveloped.  You can try to see if some fry will fall off of her.  But she looks very sick.

If some of the fry do come off, they may or may not survive.  I had some early early fry dropped because the mother was dying (died one day after).  I still have about 15-20 left.  If you have another tank put them in there or in a fry box thingy.  

I'm really sorry this happened, sick fish aren't fun and I love mine, I cry when they die.

She must be in pain, you only have one option. Sorry.

Thanks everybody for your help. I'm so sad that this happened, I've had a disease plague my tank and I can't figure out what it is and then this happens on top of it. She was such a beautiful female with her yellow orange tail, and I was really excited for her fry. My boyfriend euthanized her for me. I'd really love to know why this happened though!! 

It might be the medication...or some malformation of the fry that caused it to open the stomach?

I'm sorry. It really stinks when a fish you care about kicks the bucket. It really gets me.

Looks to me like a very severe case of prolapse. I can't imagine one that extreme would retract, and even if it did, it would be a high risk for infection and occurring again every time she has fry.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back