April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paradise3

Fish Aficionado
Reaction score
So last night me and a friend were out in the rain just walking about when we came across a frog!
We took it in and i now have it in a spare tank upstairs. The tank has sand substrate and there is only about 1" of water because i know frogs are abit of both terrestrial and aquatic. The sand slopes up so there is part water where the sand dips down to just about an 8th of an inch and then rises out of the water. If you want a picture of the frog and it's set up i can provide both. I would like know what type of frog it is. It has a gold colouration and has like a blood red colouration behind it's eyes and on it's chest and stomach. It has some green colouration round the base of both back legs. Can you suggest any plants that can live permanently with just the roots in water?

Alessa x.

Just put some crickets in for it and it has had a great time chasing and catching food!

Alessa x.

pictures would be cool

I'll get some up then. Do you want one of the set-up aswell?
It's now on my computer desk so it should be easy getting pictures.
This is the first one i took. This one and the second one were from when the tank were upstairs.
DSC02632.jpg

This is one of it's back showing as much colour as possible.
DSC02638.jpg

This one is from when i moved it onto my desk.
DSC02643.jpg

Alessa x.

cool i can see the setup in the last pic cant help id but he looks cool

He's really sweet and he doesn't hop away from you! The only time he hops is if he's catching a cricket that's on the rock or if he feels threatened. Never hops when in my hands.

Alessa x.

And to be honest, I certainly did it growing up!

Looks like its being well care for, and so long as its released once its been fed up for a few days, no worries!

Keep an eye on it though, very very good escape artists - and make sure your room doesnt get too warm at night/day it should have a cool retreat.

Yeah it will be getting released when it's been fed up. I still wonder what type it is.

Alessa x.

Why would you take a frog out of the wild?

how do you think animals became pets in the first place?

who decided to take a fish from the lake/pond/ocean...fill a bowl with water and keep it?? they put multiple fish in there, they multiplied....other people started doing it...and now years later it is common practice!

Be careful, you dont want it to associate humans with food, or when you let it go it may hop up to them for food - and most likely get stepped on or kicked.

I'd see if you can google it or take it to a vet to ID it. You need to know what it needs to survive or you may be doing more harm than good by helping it.

Be careful, you dont want it to associate humans with food, or when you let it go it may hop up to them for food - and most likely get stepped on or kicked.

I'd see if you can google it or take it to a vet to ID it. You need to know what it needs to survive or you may be doing more harm than good by helping it.

i highly doubt a frog would get conditioned to humans by catching crickets in a tank...hed think-wow, that was easy.
dont think they associate humans with food as other species of animals do. he will certainly avoid humans if all possible when released and just go back to being a frog.
and crickets or mealworms or earthworms, spiders...pretty much any crawly thing he will happily eat! dont worry about what youre feeding him, especially if you will release him shortly.
i would say to increase water depth if keeping for more than a few days. frogs need to stay wet and shouldnt be allowed to dry at all (unlike toads). and hes certainly a frog. also, if you are handling him a lot, make sure to wet your hands first. the oils on our hands are not good for amphibian's delacate skin. and dry hands pull thier slime coat off. dont worry tho about picking it up. just have wet hands.
sorry i cant help with the ID. if it were around here id say a green frog, but i dont think you live in the north east US. google frog species XXXXX county (or area) XXXXX country, will give you a good place to start.
have fun observing him, and i do hope once hes all fed up, you will find a nice place to release him back where he came from.
cheers

Yeah i do handle him but i make sure my hands are wet for definite because i run the water on them. The water it's in it can swim in so he get's a good soak while he's in there. I will probable release him in the woods across the road from me because there is a stream there and lot's of creepy crawlies.

Alessa x.

P.S I think he's a gorgeous frog btw because of his colouring.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back