Growing Algae?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

scrage

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi, is there an easy way to grow green algae in a bowl or something so I can scrape it off and dump it in my main tank for food? Can I just fill a glass container and stick it in the sun? I remember seeing a thread about this before but I didn't consider doing it till now.

Put some rocks or wood in a bowl of old tank water on a sunny window ledge, you should see a green covering in a week or two depending how much sun it gets.
If you have some moss put a little of that in too, I found it speeds up algae growth somehow

Thanks! Would putting some plant food in there maybe speed things up?

Algae likes off balanced water, so if you have lots of nitrates in there then you will grow more, plants thrive in balanced water while algae does not. I think moss will just compete with the algae your trying to grow on the rocks. So old tank water and just letting it sit there is probably your best bet.

I have been trying this and I can not get green algae. First I got black algae. so I washed everything off and tried again so so fair there's really nothing nothing. I think there's some dust in it or something because the only thing I have seen this is white stuff. :/ I shall keep trying though. Good luck getting your's to work.

You could try adding some moss to stabilize it a bit more to get the green algae your going for which is usually from to much light, or sun hitting the sun, and maybe adding some liquid ferts like iron and magnesium. 

Most reactions

Back