Grey tufts all over plants and glass

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

It’s definitely white, it’s only taken about 6 weeks to get to this stage, I initially spotted this and removed about 30 or so but they’re difficult to remove, I kept the light off and covered the tank for a week I also have 4 2 inch Chinese Alfie eaters but it’s so voracious it’s happened in a matter of a few weeks
For some reason they ring a bell with me but I don't know why. It's really bugging me. I felt sure someone else would be able to identify them. Perhaps they are a UK thing. Please let us know if you find out what they are.

My fist though was some sort of Hydra a small aquatic animal but based on the fuzzy pictures it is different. A clearer picture might help. Cell phone like the apple I phone you can get a better picture by setting the camera to maximum zoom and moving away (about 1 to 2 feet) from the glass until the picture comes into sharp focus.

I made a thread over on another forum on monster fish keepers, where they are known for diagnosing take sickness/algae. Check it out:

I want more photos and video of them, and I want some of the creatures. This is really fascinating. You better keep them alive because this could be something new and worth an article in Scientific America or any other science magazine.

I want more photos and video of them, and I want some of the creatures. This is really fascinating. You better keep them alive because this could be something new and worth an article in Scientific America or any other science magazine.
Maybe a better thing is to put some of it into a container with similar tank water so that your plants will be ok and you still get to keep this fascinating tuft-like algae.

Could it be freshwater aptasia?
I don't know anything about saltwater fish and corals, but I know that most saltwater organisms live exclusively in saltwater, and if the salinity drops below a certain amount, the ratio of water to salt or something will cause the anemone to literally explode due this, thus making it impossible to put corals in freshwater. This is because of something to do with osmotic pressure, causing water to be pulled into cells because of salt content inside the coral.

This will happen similarly with saltwater fish, but differently.

They vary in size up to about 10 mm across the whole ball , they are light grey/white with a black bit in the centre where they adhere to the glass they have like a suction type base and the hairs wave about but the don’t move individually the are impossible to get off plants and have killed all the leaves they are on it I but can be scraped off the glass

ill send some more pics tonight
Do we have an update on this?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back