Grey tufts all over plants and glass

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

r.frith

Reaction score
Help what is this and how do I get rid? Where did it come from
2ACD09FD-B20F-4DB0-B5C3-64B384416A77.jpeg

Individually they look like bits of uneaten food that are being decomposed by fungus but since since thereā€™s so many of them Iā€™m guessing thatā€™s not the case unless youā€™re over feeding by quite a lot

Individually they look like bits of uneaten food that are being decomposed by fungus but since since thereā€™s so many of them Iā€™m guessing thatā€™s not the case unless youā€™re over feeding by quite a lot
No defo not Iā€™ve kept fish for 40 years or more and never experienced anything like this

looks like black beard algae, but it's white? maybe it's only the lighting that makes it appear white?
the only type of algae that i know that grows that way is black beard. whatever it is, anything that attaches itself like that ought to be very difficult to remove.
but my question is, how did you manage to not notice it before it was this bad? this is really pushing irreversible, i don't know how you're going to get it off the plant leaves without ripping them up in the process. it looks like it has covered every leaf, and i don't think you can remove every leaf, that'd just kill the plants.
you can try dipping the plants in chemicals if you don't want to completely get rid of them, but i don't know much about that so you'd better ask someone else.
you could also try getting a black beard algae eating fish or add more CO2 (i don't know how much either of those would really help in this case, though). i still can't understand how you managed to let it get this bad with "40 years of experience."
oh, and you can try to turn off the lights in the tank for a few days if you have low light plants. if you do all of that at once, it might go away, but like i said, i think this is pushing irreversible.

Last edited by a moderator:
iā€™ve never seen anything like that. thatā€™s weird. i hope you find out what it is. maybe try algaefix or something??

looks like black beard algae, but it's white? maybe it's only the lighting that makes it appear white?
the only type of algae that i know that grows that way is black beard. whatever it is, anything that attaches itself like that ought to be very difficult to remove.
but my question is, how did you manage to not notice it before it was this bad? this is really pushing irreversible, i don't know how you're going to get it off the plant leaves without ripping them up in the process. it looks like it has covered every leaf, and i don't think you can remove every leaf, that'd just kill the plants.
you can try dipping the plants in chemicals if you don't want to completely get rid of them, but i don't know much about that so you'd better ask someone else.
you could also try getting a black beard algae eating fish or add more CO2 (i don't know how much either of those would really help in this case, though). i still can't understand how you managed to let it get this bad with "40 years of experience."
oh, and you can try to turn off the lights in the tank for a few days if you have low light plants. if you do all of that at once, it might go away, but like i said, i think this is pushing irreversible.
Itā€™s definitely white, itā€™s only taken about 6 weeks to get to this stage, I initially spotted this and removed about 30 or so but theyā€™re difficult to remove, I kept the light off and covered the tank for a week I also have 4 2 inch Chinese Alfie eaters but itā€™s so voracious itā€™s happened in a matter of a few weeks

Itā€™s definitely white, itā€™s only taken about 6 weeks to get to this stage, I initially spotted this and removed about 30 or so but theyā€™re difficult to remove, I kept the light off and covered the tank for a week I also have 4 2 inch Chinese Alfie eaters but itā€™s so voracious itā€™s happened in a matter of a few weeks
Seems you're really stumped. Actually, you could try this species-finder app. It's called "seek". It's an app that can identify any known living thing. So basically you can go into a park and use it to find out all the trees, given you get a good angle. However, it's very finicky, and once I tried to use this app to identify a coral at an aquarium and it thought it was a nudibranch:rofl:

Try this to find out what the tufts are, but you might not have much luck

Also, how are the algae-eaters doing?

Are they white or yellow because they look yellowy green in the first picture , and white in the second pic?

So they are stuck to the plant and the plants affected by them are dying.
They are hard to get off the plants.

Do they move on the plants or through the water?
Are there big and small ones or are they all the same size?

Do they have a definite ball type base with little filaments coming off them like the picture?

How big are they?

--------------------
Contact the Department of Agriculture or a University biology department and take some in to see if they can identify them. Even if you send them some photos. This is really cool.

I've been following this thread because I have never seen anything like what is in the photos.

They vary in size up to about 10 mm across the whole ball , they are light grey/white with a black bit in the centre where they adhere to the glass they have like a suction type base and the hairs wave about but the donā€™t move individually the are impossible to get off plants and have killed all the leaves they are on, but can be scraped off the glass

They vary in size up to about 10 mm across the whole ball , they are light grey/white with a black bit in the centre where they adhere to the glass they have like a suction type base and the hairs wave about but the donā€™t move individually the are impossible to get off plants and have killed all the leaves they are on it I but can be scraped off the glass
I've been following this thread because I have never seen anything like what is in the photos.
ill send some more pics tonight

Colin's suggestion was good, and I second it...send the photo to a biology department of the closest university/college. You should be able to find an email on the institution's website. Most places are only too happy to assist with questions like this one.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back