Green Algae

Fatpants

New Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2008
Messages
20
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Blackburn, Lancs
Hi All. I have a Rio 180 unplanted tank. It’s been up and running for 2 months but I transferred everything from my mature tank. I have 5 cardinal tetras, 6 harlequin tetras and a bristlenose catfish. My problem is that I have started getting loads of green algae. It is in clumps in places and hard green spots on the glass etc. I have read a lot about it but what is the preferred method for controlling it ?? I only have the light on for ten hours and my water is fine (maybe some phosphate). Any advice would be great thanks.
Stu
 
It's just something that inevitably shows up in freshwater tanks. Scrape it off the glass if it bothers you, and nerite snails may eat it.
 
Could my lighting be the problem. Its the highlight system with daylight and a nature T5 bulbs. Can I just remove the daylight one or should I add another nature one ? I beleive the cardinals and my bristlenose prefair subdued lighting.
 
It really depends on the type algae you have. Usually, the clumps and the stuff on the glass are 2 different types. The stuff on the glass is fairly common, most likely greenspot or green dust (common in new setups) algae. It can usually be scraped off without much problem. Weekly water changes, proper feeding and stocking will help.

The clumps sound more like blue-green algae which is very difficult to get rid of. It is usually a result of overfeeding and too much light. You really need to identify the algae you have in order to decide the proper steps to take to eliminate it. Here is a good pinned topic on algae.

EDIT: How long are your lights on each day and is the tank ever exposed to direct sunlight?
 
If your tank is not planted, turn on the lights only while you are there to look at the fish. If you are around all day, limit the light period to 5 or 6 hours daily. The algae will go away on its own if you cut back on the light that much.
 
I Just have one live plant at the min. I have ordered a uv system. Seems like a good idea. I might cut the lighting down a bit like you say. Thanks.
 
I find that I can't get the timing right on a planted tank without a timer, I just don't remember well enough every day. I usually start at 8 hours of light a day and cut it back if I get algae or stretch it out if the plants seem to lack enough light and get leggy looking. My usual setting is to have the lights go off about bedtime and adjust the start time for the desired length.
 
I have ordered a uv system. Seems like a good idea.
A UV sterilizer won't have any effect on algae except for free floating diatoms that cause green water. It kills anything that passes through it so algae attached to objects in the tank are not effected.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top