Gravel Question

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

togglepin

Reaction score
Hi,
Just registered so I could ask this question. I set up my aquarium 3 weeks ago and have put white gravel in, the problem is that I have white snowy bits floating around my tank. it does look a bit like air bubbles but is definately not. Can anybody tell me if this is normal, will it clear itself and if not what can I do to get rid of it. My tank water is otherwise perfectly clear.
Help!!!

Do you have any fish in your tank, if you do when you are doing water changes fish poop could be floating off of it if you are not doing a gravel vac. This probably is not what is happening in your tank but that is all I can think of off the top of my head.

Do you have any fish in your tank, if you do when you are doing water changes fish poop could be floating off of it if you are not doing a gravel vac. This probably is not what is happening in your tank but that is all I can think of off the top of my head.

I have 6 female guppies
2 male guppies
6 black phantom tetras
4 neon tetras

I can see that it is definately not poop.
While using a vaccum syphon to do a water change, I am noticing that I am disturbing a white cloud from gravel and it is going up the syphon in little clouds.

I am beginning to be convinced that it is the gravel breaking down a bit but I don't want to change it.

Sounds like you did not rinse it through enough before putting it in your tank. All new gravel should be cleaned thoroughly in a bucket, usually with a hose runnning in it until the water runs clear, can take 10 minutes or more.

ps have a read of all the pinned articles at the top of this forum and the tropical chat one. You need to read up on cycling as that is what your tank, or more accurately you filter is currently doing. Having added that many fish that quickly I am surprised you haven't had any problems unless you fishless cycled before (see link in my sig). You might want to keep an eye on your fish closely and do a water change if any of them are looking under the whether. Also, consider getting a liquid test kit for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH. API do a freshwater master kit with all of these as do Hagen I think. Ideally you want 0ppm ammonia, 0ppm nitrite, <50ppm nitrate. In a cycling tank it is normal for the ammonia and nitrite to be higher. You want to keep them at a maximum of 0.25ppm and even this low a level will cause damage to your fish.

good luck

:good:

Sounds like you did not rinse it through enough before putting it in your tank. All new gravel should be cleaned thoroughly in a bucket, usually with a hose runnning in it until the water runs clear, can take 10 minutes or more. ps have a read of all the pinned articles at the top of this forum and the tropical chat one. You need to read up on cycling as that is what your tank, or more accurately you filter is currently doing. Having added that many fish that quickly I am surprised you haven't had any problems unless you fishless cycled before (see link in my sig). You might want to keep an eye on your fish closely and do a water change if any of them are looking under the whether. Also, consider getting a liquid test kit for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH. API do a freshwater master kit with all of these as do Hagen I think. Ideally you want 0ppm ammonia, 0ppm nitrite, <50ppm nitrate. In a cycling tank it is normal for the ammonia and nitrite to be higher. You want to keep them at a maximum of 0.25ppm and even this low a level will cause damage to your fish.good luck:good:
I washed my gravel thoroughly, swishing it around and sieving until it ran clear. two days later after these white bits didn't disappear I emptied my tank, washed the gravel again and lo and behold - the bits came back again. I have been adding my fish slowly and taking samples to the aquatic centre, they said my ammonia was only slightly raised and to do a 25% water change weekly and check again. I did not know about cycling until I read on this forum. I am quite enjoying this new hobby and am hoping to post pictures soon. I would love another tank, probably bigger when I have more experience. I will certainly do the no fish cycling thingy....
Sounds like you did not rinse it through enough before putting it in your tank. All new gravel should be cleaned thoroughly in a bucket, usually with a hose runnning in it until the water runs clear, can take 10 minutes or more. ps have a read of all the pinned articles at the top of this forum and the tropical chat one. You need to read up on cycling as that is what your tank, or more accurately you filter is currently doing. Having added that many fish that quickly I am surprised you haven't had any problems unless you fishless cycled before (see link in my sig). You might want to keep an eye on your fish closely and do a water change if any of them are looking under the whether. Also, consider getting a liquid test kit for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH. API do a freshwater master kit with all of these as do Hagen I think. Ideally you want 0ppm ammonia, 0ppm nitrite, <50ppm nitrate. In a cycling tank it is normal for the ammonia and nitrite to be higher. You want to keep them at a maximum of 0.25ppm and even this low a level will cause damage to your fish.good luck:good:
I washed my gravel thoroughly, swishing it around and sieving until it ran clear. two days later after these white bits didn't disappear I emptied my tank, washed the gravel again and lo and behold - the bits came back again. I have been adding my fish slowly and taking samples to the aquatic centre, they said my ammonia was only slightly raised and to do a 25% water change weekly and check again. I did not know about cycling until I read on this forum. I am quite enjoying this new hobby and am hoping to post pictures soon. I would love another tank, probably bigger when I have more experience. I will certainly do the no fish cycling thingy....
Ps So far my fish seem OK but I will keep a close eye on them.What sort of symptoms do I need to be looking for?

Seems like bacteria bloom if you are trying to cycle a new tank .... You need to invest in a water test kit (preferably liquid one) ASAP ....

Do you know what kind of substrate you bought? Some substrates can eventually chip or flake (like epoxy coated ones), and substrates like crushed coral do break down in freshwater (and make your water "hard").

Certain brands of gravel can cause problems in your water. I have had many various experiences with that. You can wash and was the gravel again and the water will still not stay clear. If it is a new tank, try cycling it first and see how that goes. Also be sure to keep up on gravel vaccumings as this will help remove particles. If after your tank is cycled, and your still having problems you may want to consider buying new gravel. :nod: :nod:

Not to high jack his thread. But if I am doing weekly water tests. 0 ammonia, 0 nitrate and 0 nitrite - stable Ph of 7.6 - 7.8 then what would the benefits of a water change be? or the consequences of not doing it?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back