Grapefruit Seed Extract

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

LOL thats why I can't open it then! You do not have to but if you would scan through and see if it talks about fish and fish tanks.
Thank you for opening it!

Hi Shelly

Have read thro the PDF file and what they are refering to is "clay"..... "add to an aquarium to control algae or fungus. Put ailing fish in a bag containing clay and shake to coat them. Put them back into water quickly. Several treatments maybe needed."

Sorry but I dont think this is what u were lookin for.

PLEASE NOTE THIS IS A QUOTE

LOL thats why I can't open it then! You do not have to but if you would scan through and see if it talks about fish and fish tanks.
Thank you for opening it!

Powders , tablets , gels , and / or hydrated BENTONITE CLAY .

"Add to aquariums to control algae or fungus .

Put ailing fish in a bag containing clay and shake to coat them . return to water QUICKLY .

sveral treatments may be needed , clay reduces stress in aquarium fish ".

Thats all i could find about fish ! i could not copy and paste , but that is what it said word for word , like i said , there is 60 pages so sorry if i have missed anything !

Thank you both so much! :D

Hmmm I do not think I want to bag my fish with clay and shake them up no matter how good it is! :crazy: It brings back "Little Nemo" flash backs to that little girl with the dead bagged fish. :no:

I had found a study earler that had to do with salmon, grapefruit seed and algea, now I can not find it.

Shaking the fish in a bag? Doesn't that strike anyone else as a bad thing to do even to a healthy fish?

And I was meaning the placebo effect, yes. People can and do "cure" themselves from real and percieved illnesses. I do know there is a mental side to defeating an illness and there are documented cases of it but I don't think any of them are with fish either. ;) I'm not telling anyone to not do it, just not to expect it to work any miracles. Proven treatments are the only definite way to cure something.

Shaking the fish in a bag? Doesn't that strike anyone else as a bad thing to do even to a healthy fish?

And I was meaning the placebo effect, yes. People can and do "cure" themselves from real and percieved illnesses. I do know there is a mental side to defeating an illness and there are documented cases of it but I don't think any of them are with fish either. ;) I'm not telling anyone to not do it, just not to expect it to work any miracles. Proven treatments are the only definite way to cure something.

It sonds bloody stupid to me , i was just quoting what that link said , anyway its neary 2 in the morning & i am going to bed , good night / good morning to you all depending on where you live .
:)

Even that second link is very unspecific about what grapefruit seed extract can do. According to the link, it can kill algae, but then the poster says "the ingestion of the extract is actually healthful to fish, while protecting them from infection" healthful how? You know that a healthy fish protects itself from infection with its own immune system, so how much help does grapefruit seed extract do? Again, this seems like anecdote at best, not evidence. Sure he cites one report (rather poorly, too, no listing of what journal the study was reported in) of what doesn't hurt fish eggs, but not hurting the eggs does not in any way equal beneficial to health.

This may even be a case of placebo as above... the person added grapefruit seed extract to a tank that didn't get sick. Well, shoot, if you quarantine and do the water changes and all the other necessary tank maintenence, there have been 1000's of us who have kept tanks where the inhabitants don't get sick without seed extract.

Finally, ppm stands for parts per million. Formally, ppm is not a unit of measure itself since you divide similar units by each other. For example 1 mL of liquid in 1000 L of another liquid is 1 ppm. (There are not units since the volumes cancel each other out.) So, 1 mL per 1000 L would be the first way to calculate the necessary dose. However, for fairly dilute concentrations 1 ppm is about 1 mg/L as well, if you want to use mass.

Bignose I am looking for more info on this subject. I am vary open minded about new info. With out change there can be no forward movement.
I am not saying for everyone to put this stuff in there tanks. I will not put any in mine until I find out more about it.I posted here to find out if anyone uses it. I have some old fish that are coming down with systems that may be helped by a nature cure like this one. At this time they are being treated by salt and heat and showing great color and are eating much better.
I under stand you skiptical nature. I on the other hand would like to find out if this stuff might just do what it says it does. If its not at least I looked into it.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back