Grapefruit Seed Extract

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Shelly, I am open minded too, but there is so much crud out there, that skeptical is just second nature at this point. That, and since I am a working scientist, skepticism is the working state. Bring me the proof and I am as happy as anyone to embrace the new product, but ya'know, it actually has to work.

Maybe it comes across as dogmatic or stubborn, but this is the way science works, and I really think that the average person does not understand that. Yes, there are a few scientists out there who will hold on to an old idea even in the face of newer, better ones. Mostly because they have dedicated their life's work to the old idea and they don't want to feel like they wasted their life (not realizing, of course, that they most likely had a lot to do with the evolution to the new idea) But here is how the overwhelming majority of actual scientists work: If you have a better idea that works better, it will be embraced immediately. Most scientists just want to get the answer right, there is very little to no bias. Therefore, you find the proof, or even you do the experiments yourself and prove it, I have nothing against it. But, those experiments have to be done right. This is why there is a scientific method of proving or refuting hypotheses etc., etc.

Look at all the stuff people will buy without proof. I mean, how many weeks was/is "Natural Cures 'They' Don't Want You to Know About" http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/097559951...8971434-1554404 on the best seller list? Even though the author is has had several fraud indictments in his history, used to be a used car salesman, and has no medical training whatsoever. Did you know that he claims in the book that some doctor out there invented a machine that when you hit the right frequency it drives all the cancer out of the body, but of course, the medical companies are keeping it out of the hospitals. Yeah, right, that guy could charge several billion dollars a machine and every hospital in the world would still buy one, or two, or three. That guy would have so much money he would make Bill Gates and the oil sultans look like the part time cashier at McDonald's. And just how many people believe in homeopathy? Even though when you do the mathematics of the dilutions the homeopathic prepares do, there would only be 1 molecule of the active ingredient in the entire bottle? (Some of them are really bad... some dilutions are a weak as 1 molecule in the equivalent of the ocean, or 1 molecule in the galaxy.)

And, think about this, just how many people really believe in astrology? Far too many. Good page debunking astrology: http://www.badastronomy.com/bad/misc/astrology.html
But you know who did used to believe in astrology? The Reagans. Nancy would commonly schedule appointments only after consulting an astrologer. Can you imagine the (arguably) most powerful man in the world using total woo woo to make his decisions? Frightening.

Finally, bringing this back to fish-related topics, there was a product advertised on eBay and elsewhere that claimed to eliminate the need for water changes by 75%. www.ecoaqualizer.com Using "The Earth's Magnetic Field and the Suns Radiating Wavelengths are natural forces which contribute to the missing links in achieving aquarium perfection" which is nothing but scientific buzzword nonsense. I stick by what I wrote in these two threads: http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=56953&hl= and http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=59846&hl= I know that this is long and I have posted a lot of links, but I really hope that you will especially read my comments in that second thread. I didn't want to copy and paste them here, but I wrote a fair amount about how people will be duped into believing that the ecoaqualizer may work.

So, when I read on here about something that "From what I am reading its good for every thing" that sends up a huge red flag. There has to be proof before any statement like that can be said. Once that proof is in, great, you'll see the supporters line up -- I'll be the first one. I think you'll find that this exact same argument is still being used for many of the biological filter starters... there is little proof, but lots of anecdote out there.

If you are on fact-finding mission about what grapefruit extract actually does, that is great. But the first few posts seemed like you had it on hand and were waiting to drop it in. And the second poster got all excited about a "natural cure" ... but there is no proof that his is a cure ... yet.

So finally, I guess I just wanted to preach some patience and rational thinking. There are many, many people who will sell you exactly what you want to hear. There have been several miracle cures sold, for people and for your pets. All I am asking for is proof.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Ok, I have to post again. Take a look at this webpage: http://www.terressentials.com/truthaboutgse.html

They cite a few studies, one pdf file to the actual journal article can be found 3/4 of the way down. The authors of the pdf file work for the USDA (which is the organization you cited earlier.)

But look at the results... the antimicrobial activity is primarily due to the preservative the companies add to the grapefruit seed extract! GSE itself had little to no effect! Not only that, but too large a dose of the preservative that is most often used can be very dangerous to ingest.

Another: http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_...60/ai_n13628960 "he researchers found that five of the commercially available extracts had significant antimicrobial activities, all of which contained the preservative benzethonium chloride. Three of these same extracts were also found to contain the preservatives triclosan and methyl parabene. The researchers found that only one of the commercial GSEs tested had no preserving agent, but that this extract as well as the self-made extract had no antimicrobial activity. (emphasis mine) "

There are several other webpages like this... just Google "grapefruit seed extract USDA"

The really scary part about this is that herbal remedies do not follow the same laws in the US as even the food companies have to follow. They can make almost any claims on the bottle, and what is listed in the ingredients does not necessarily have to be in the bottle itself.

p.s. Shelley, Re: a post on page 1, I am glad to hear you got over your cold and didn't suffer any relapses, but your one story is anecdote, not evidence. Now, if you get together 1,000 people and give some pacebos and some the real GSE, then you've got the basis for some evidence.

IMO one of the problems with natural cures is that they aren't always subject to same medical testing as chemical cures are.
So that means:
a) can easily be a placebo effect (lots of tests do show that such a thing does happen in humans) - so you don't know if it works
B) You don't know which part is the useful one
c) You don't know the side effects or how it interracts with other things- eg other medication, plants, acid water, soft water, fish species, etc etc.
d) For them to work they ahve to have some kind of active agent. This is effectively a chemical, just one that occurs in nature rather than a test-tube. IMO there's no reason to imagine it's safer than anything man-made. Think about fox-gloves: they have a chemical (digitalin) which is entirely natural but can and does kill you if you consumed enough. Digitallin is artifically made in labs for heart medicine, it's the exact same chemical as found in fox-gloves, and does work; however, using it without the heart condition or in excess will kill you, just as digitallin in fox gloves would.
e) The amount of the chemical naturally occuring will vary with the grapefruit seed itself - some will contain more than others - so the dosage has to be harder to control.
I think everyone wants treatments which have no side effects and work and are safe, etc, and it always sounds nicer to use a naturally-occuring item (i.e. the chemical is naturaly occuring) than a man-made on 9i.e. made in a lab) but I don't feel that natural equals safe and effective in all cases.

There's a saying about being open minded but not so open minded your brain falls out. :) Don't believe everything you hear, especially when it comes to new medicine without valid scientific study. A good portion of it is either complete crap or not understood enough to be reliable. For as long as people have been around, someone's been trying to sell a quick-fix to them.

As a scientist yourself bignose, you should also be able to apreciate and understand the fact that alot of breakthroughs are made by backyard tinkerers and/or people not affiliated with any sort of public or private scientific institute. Don't get me wrong, I agree wholeheartedly with you in regards to evidence being needed, but to do that someone needs to gather that evidence.

Controlled experiments aren't only conducted successfully in laboratories recognised the world over, they are conducted there to be "officially" proven (it comes down to needing a delegate of people with fancy Phds to be present pretty much) or because they are in that line of work to find the answer themselves, not because a controlled, scientifically sound experiment is doomed to fail if conducted elsewhere. This is especially evident in this hobby as alot of things discovered to do with fishkeeping are found by every day people like you and me because they don't have a - or enough of a - practical economic value attached to them. Without the backyard inventors, thinkers and tinkerers, the world would be a very different place today.

whats the difference though in using say.... aloe vera in your tank. its natural and proven to be good to use.

I have my doubts on aloe vera working as well, and just because one "natural" treatment works, doesn't mean they all do. It's like saying that all fish are safe to eat because you eat catfish.

I've not used aloe vera, becuase I've never seen a need to. The "proven" part would be a difference - at the moment, grapefruit seed extract isn't proven to work for fish, (which am sure some people would say was true of aloe vera, too), which is part of the issue.
Why do people assume that just becuase something is natural it is safer and nicer and better than something man-made? Both are chemicals, just one is a chemical that occurs in nature, one is a chemical made in a lab. The one in a lab is likely to have been tested more rigourously before it's allowed on the market. I think it's better to avoid any kind of unnecessary sunbstance, be it naturally-occuring or man-made.

Why do people assume that just becuase something is natural it is safer and nicer and better than something man-made? Both are chemicals, just one is a chemical that occurs in nature, one is a chemical made in a lab. The one in a lab is likely to have been tested more rigourously before it's allowed on the market.

I'd love to know the answer to this one. My girlfriend's mother is exactly like that. The best answer I can get is "natural" is better because nature made it and somehow man always screws it up. As if nature were perfect. :p

I've not used aloe vera, becuase I've never seen a need to. The "proven" part would be a difference - at the moment, grapefruit seed extract isn't proven to work for fish, (which am sure some people would say was true of aloe vera, too), which is part of the issue.
Why do people assume that just becuase something is natural it is safer and nicer and better than something man-made? Both are chemicals, just one is a chemical that occurs in nature, one is a chemical made in a lab. The one in a lab is likely to have been tested more rigourously before it's allowed on the market. I think it's better to avoid any kind of unnecessary sunbstance, be it naturally-occuring or man-made.

Becouse most of the "man made" chemicals where found in natural items/compounds first.

And man can make them better, or safer, or in larger volume yet "natural" is always preferred...

I reckon you could go round and round in circles debating this, if you want to try grapefruit seed extract on your fish, give it a whirl, if it cures the problem then thats good. I use some aloe vera products on my fish and they seem ok, melafix is one (isnt it).

as someone said before how do we know unless we try it.....

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back