Grapefruit Seed Extract

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Shelly_Otterkin

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I have heard of people using this in there tanks to help as a natural med. Does any one no how many drops per gal. you are to use? I have some new bought fish that are having some problems and would like to use them to see how this works.

Wow, I have never heard of this but it is very interesting. I know it can be good for the health of humans, but fish? That would be great. I would love to have a non chemical option. Did you hear that it is good for bacteria or parasites or what?

From what I am reading its good for every thing just like in humans. It will also cut out algea in your tanks at low doses. What I can not fine is how much to use per gal. They are using it for all types of pets. The reptile boards are going nuts for it and the bird boards are saying use it to. I use it with shampoo on my dog who has skin problems and it has stoped all of his itches.

I wouldn't use it. Besides the sketchy evidence of its usefulness to humans, it's good to keep in mind fish are a very different animal and this may not be good for them. Plus it is likely to have unintended side-effects. IMO it's best not to medicate until there is a need to any ways.

Needless addition of medicines (of any kind) to an aquarium just creates weak immune systems in fish. Their bodies become reliant on the antiviral and antibacterial medications to do the job for them so one little slip up and they can become ill fast.

Needless addition of medicines (of any kind) to an aquarium just creates weak immune systems in fish. Their bodies become reliant on the antiviral and antibacterial medications to do the job for them so one little slip up and they can become ill fast.

And this is why I use the heat and salt for any problems that I have. This stuff is to build immune sysytems. If we do not try new things once in awhile where are we to go from here? Back to fish bowls and heated tanks useing burning oil sysytems? Yes I would not put this stuff in with my high dallor tank or even with my better fish but these are second hand $.99 fish that have reached full grow. It it helps the fish world I will be the first to use it. What I am trying to find out is how much to use.

Any one else out there that has tried this stuff or has found the amount to use per gal?

From what I am reading its good for every thing just like in humans.

Skeptic Alert. Skeptic Alert. There is no way at all that this is even possible. Can't you see just how ridiculous of statement that is? This goes all the way back to the (appropriate enough for this forum) fish oil salesmen that travelled from town to town claiming their tonic cured everything from baldness to cancer. The way they sold it, it sounded like it could almost cure death.

If you can back up your claims with some science, that is a study conducted on the health benefits using several tanks, species, controls, etc. then maybe there is something there. Not anecdotal evidence. Look at this link, for example: http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-06/rs/index.php "My cousin Vinny added marina sauce to his tank and it helped..."

But until there is a serious study conducted, I would not be adding stuff to the tank just on the word of someone. Just as a case in point: seaching for "grapefruit AND fish" in web-of-science only came up with three journal articles, two involving toxicity and one involving which fruit a certian sepcies of fish prefered to eat. With no evidence of any kind of healing properties of grapefruit seed extract, I only see a few possibilities. At the most, adding to your tank has no effect whatsoever, at the worst it starts killing things or lower your fish's immune systems so that other things can more easy attack your fish. There needs to be proof of this stuff before you just start chucking it into your tanks!

I was a skeptic about this stuff to for humans untill I got really sick this winter and did not have medical. I went out and got some and about 3 days latter I felt fine. I keeped useing it for the full 10 days and never relapsed. The USDA is studing this stuff really closely. For all report that are in it does most of what it says it does. Most of the other pet groups are useing it with great reports. This is not based on the site that sells this stuff. This is from people who are using it

Then, point me to some links with actual scientific studies. Like I just said, there are no scientific studies on fish that I could find at all.

Also, just because it may be beneficial for people, and maybe even for your dog or cat, certianly does not mean it will be good for fish.

I think its great that you may have found a natural remedy, I hope that more information can be found on this subject and in the mean time we should all keep an open mind. But then don't the professional keepers of Betta's (and many people in the Betta forum) use the indian almond leaf for curing betta's of many things or just for using as a general tonic.

The use of unproven medical cures can be as much a psychosomatic (in your head) cure as taking a real medicine, or attributing the "medicine" to the cure when the body naturally fought off the illness itself. Fish haven't got that kind of luxury.

Until there is valid, scientifically reproducable proof this stuff is a cure for whatever (what does it actually do? Vague "cure-alls" are a sign of snake oil) and then proven to work for fish, I'm going to remain skeptical it does anything but turn a profit for whoever sells it.

Teelie, from what you said does that mean that a placebo will work for humans?
I mean there have been studies done on humans and other mamals in which a placebo type drug was admistrated to the patient in which to make them believe it would be a cure for the problem they had?
I see where you are going when you said fish do not have the luxury of such an advanced brain such as ours. But Wouldn't it be worth it to do some controlled tests?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back