Gourami

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

bbydarlin

Reaction score
So i bought 2 gourami a few days ago. 1 male and 1 female. They have been doing fine together. The male gets just a bit aggressive when food is put in but otherwise they are fine together. Someone owner surrendered a male gourami at the fish store i go to. Some people online say 2 female for every male or that males can live together. I decided to take him home today. Well my male is chasing the new male and nipping at him a lot. Should i wait to see if maybe they might get over it in a day or just go return the new male back to the shop tomorrow? I might not have time tomorrow so should i go ahead and seperate them?

Generally, it is recommended for multiple females per male for most gourami species that like groups. A lot of it will depend on your tank size and what type of gourami you have, how heavily planted/decorated the tank is. If you have a lot of aggression in the beginning, it might tend to continue like that. Other, more experienced, gourami keepers might come along soon.

Guys can you tell me how to interpret this. It says here that gourami aggressiveness is going to decrease when you put 2-4 females per male. So, if you have 2 males and 6-8 females they gonna stop fighting like in the OP case?

Guys can you tell me how to interpret this. It says here that gourami aggressiveness is going to decrease when you put 2-4 females per male. So, if you have 2 males and 6-8 females they gonna stop fighting like in the OP case?
Usually the males will each have their own harem and territory, so long as the tank is big enough.

Agree, which gourami species? The information linked in post #10 is rather misleading; it is true that some species can exist in a group and for these you want more females than males to reduce the aggressive attentions of the males on the females. But with some species, they will tear each other to shreds regardless. All male gourami are territorial; the degree to which they enforce this depends upon the species, the numbers, and sometimes just individual fish--not all fish read the scientific literature describing how they "should" behave!! ;)

Unless you have a big tank with lots of plants, just get 1 pr (1 male & 1 female).

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back