Gourami not looking good

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

annadel

Reaction score
Please help. Honey Gourami female. Was fine this morning when I fed them. Just now went to have a look and she was on the gravel at the bottom of tank. When I went back a few moment later she was floating at the top, I thought I should take her out but she is alive and moving her 2 long appendages but is floating sideways/ upside down. I think she looks a bit bloated.
This is my husbands tank. He did a water change on Sunday and all parameter were correct when he checked yesterday. He is away with work now .
Is there anything I can do?
IMG_3427.JPG

If you can check the water parameters, do that to ensure the water is ok. Beyond that, no suggestions or other feedback I might have.

What do you feed it with? How long has it been in the tank? What's the water temperature? What are the other inhabitants?

Parameters checked and good.
Feed mixture of soft pellets, soft micro granules, flakes, sinking wafers and occasionally frozen food.
Been in the tank for 6/7 months.
Water temp 25centigrade.
Other fish in tank 4 honey gourami, 7 rasbora, 9 glow light tetras, 7 rummy nose tetra, 4 kuhli loaches, 6 chain loaches, 8 otocinclus and some amano and cherry shrimp and 4 snails.

If no other fish is acting strange, it seems as if this one got bloated for some reason, which could be a waiting game, or could devolve into something more serious .

Don't feed the tank anymore for the rest of the day, and another day or two. If you can separate this one to quarantine him, it might help all fish, as he might start getting bullied if he's showing signs of sickness.

Barring more expert advice, blanch a few green peas, peel them and try to feed some to this guy to help him get rid of the bloating.

If no other fish is acting strange, it seems as if this one got bloated for some reason, which could be a waiting game, or could devolve into something more serious .

Don't feed the tank anymore for the rest of the day, and another day or two. If you can separate this one to quarantine him, it might help all fish, as he might start getting bullied if he's showing signs of sickness.

Barring more expert advice, blanch a few green peas, peel them and try to feed some to this guy to help him get rid of the bloating.
Ok thanks for your replies. Unfortunately she is no longer.
Would like to know the cause in case the others have issues.

Sorry for the loss. Did she get more bloated, would you be able to take a picture and share it?

Sorry for the loss. Did she get more bloated, would you be able to take a picture and share it?
She's much bigger in size ie length and width to the boys and the other girl, so I just assumed she was older. I've obviously been reading up about it today, issues with the swim bladder, constipation? fungal. viral. bacterial etc
I guess you can't really tell from photos but here they are.

Attachments

• IMG_3445.JPG
    IMG_3445.JPG
    184.7 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_3446.JPG
    IMG_3446.JPG
    188.6 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_3448.JPG
    IMG_3448.JPG
    181.9 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_3443 2.JPG
    IMG_3443 2.JPG
    233.2 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_3444.JPG
    IMG_3444.JPG
    227.8 KB · Views: 7
Parameters checked and good.
Feed mixture of soft pellets, soft micro granules, flakes, sinking wafers and occasionally frozen food.
Been in the tank for 6/7 months.
Water temp 25centigrade.
Other fish in tank 4 honey gourami, 7 rasbora, 9 glow light tetras, 7 rummy nose tetra, 4 kuhli loaches, 6 chain loaches, 8 otocinclus and some amano and cherry shrimp and 4 snails.
As a precaution I'd suggest another large water change, 50% at least; even though water was just changed over the weekend. Don't feed the fish tomorrow and just observe to see if other fish show any abnormal behavior or symptoms. If nothing else happens, this was just life.

Unexpected, sometimes sad things; happen to all living beings. You covered the possible causes here:
I've obviously been reading up about it today, issues with the swim bladder, constipation? fungal. viral. bacterial etc
But if no other fish show symptoms, it just was her time, and unfortunately no easy way to know the exact cause, if at all possible

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back