Gourami Got Stuck In The Siphon

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Nimbose

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
I was holding the bucket as I had to use a smaller length of tube to siphon the water due to my father placing my regular tube elsewhere. As you can imagine, holding a bucket with one hand when it's quickly filling with water isn't a good idea, so I was shouting for my mother to quickly come and hold it before I dropped water everywhere. Of course... I took my eye off the tube for a second out of panic and one of my honey gouramis, as curious as they are, swam up to the siphon and got his head wedged in the end.

We got him out, but not unscathed.

A few of his scales have been plucked off and he seems to have a tiny sore wound on the top of his head (not bleeding; just looks a bit pink and bruised). He's also not swimming about as much; I imagine he's stressed and in shock after what happened. He's not eating, either.

My question is what should I use to help him recover? One of my guesses is Stress Coat, due to the product description on the website.

Contains Aloe Vera, nature's liquid bandage, to prevent the loss of essential electrolytes and protect damaged tissue against disease-causing organisms whilst helping to heal torn fins and skin wounds.

I'm really worried he's going to die as he looks awfully poorly... And I'm unable to get anything at the moment due to it being a Sunday and the shops are closed. I'll be fetching some as soon as possible tomorrow. I feel so guilty. :c

The best thing right now is CLEAN water... Ironically, more water changes.    Keeping the water pristine will allow the fish's natural immunity to allow it to heal.  The key is to keep the water clean so that a secondary infection doesn't take root.

eaglesaquarium said:
The best thing right now is CLEAN water... Ironically, more water changes.    Keeping the water pristine will allow the fish's natural immunity to allow it to heal.  The key is to keep the water clean so that a secondary infection doesn't take root.
Okay, thank you! I'll do just that as well as getting the Stress Coat tomorrow; he's such a little sweetie, I'll be heartbroken if he dies...

Love your pinky pie avatar. 
What I do when I see any kind of infection on my fish (if I don't stress them out trying to get them in a net) is I take a qtip and I put some melafix or pimafix or both on the wound gently outside of the water. Then I put them back in the tank.
I've heard of some people using hydrogen peroxide if they notice that it's getting infected. 
I don't know if any of these things are a good idea but they have worked for me. 

Doesn't hydrogen peroxide hurt the fish? We used to use it years ago to clean grotty looking wounds (ex nurse here), but used to hurt the patients like mad!

Sickbound said:
What I do when I see any kind of infection on my fish (if I don't stress them out trying to get them in a net) is I take a qtip and I put some melafix or pimafix or both on the wound gently outside of the water. Then I put them back in the tank.
I've heard of some people using hydrogen peroxide if they notice that it's getting infected. 
I don't know if any of these things are a good idea but they have worked for me. 
Heheh, Pinkie Pie is awesome~.

Oh, I'll try to get my hands on some of those, then... Do pet stores usually stock them or is it something you'd get from a vet?

Thank you for the advice. ;u;

pippa1238 said:
Doesn't hydrogen peroxide hurt the fish? We used to use it years ago to clean grotty looking wounds (ex nurse here), but used to hurt the patients like mad!
Actually, I think a lot of fish treatments contain Hydrogen Peroxide and it never seems to bother them... I guess they react differently to things. c:

Nimbose said:

Heheh, Pinkie Pie is awesome~.

Oh, I'll try to get my hands on some of those, then... Do pet stores usually stock them or is it something you'd get from a vet?

Thank you for the advice. ;u;

Yeah it's offered in a lot of pet stores. It's widely known to help heal infections.

It is a classic disinfectant.

Thought I'd let you guys know my Gourami is still alive! Definitely not to his usual self just yet, but I think I saw him eating. He's a little lethargic, which I expected... I'll keep up with his treatments and let you know how it goes.

For future reference, you can always pull the tub out of the tank to stop the siphon, then start it again whenever.  There's no need to ever panic when doing water changes because you have control over the siphon.

Elrohirthehasty said:
For future reference, you can always pull the tub out of the tank to stop the siphon, then start it again whenever.  There's no need to ever panic when doing water changes because you have control over the siphon.
Yeah, I know... I had a dumb moment. A very dumb moment...

Most reactions

Back