Gourami being territorial…help!!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

sncurson2

Reaction score
Hi, I have a fully grown golden gourami and yesterday I got 2 blue dwarf gourami’s, the golden keeps chasing them, will he continue to do so until they die or will it calm down, I never thought about the larger one being territorial 🤦🏼‍♀️ I’m happy to take the dwarves back to the pet shop if they’re not going to be happy fish 🐠

Edit: I have 4 silver foxes and a chaleous tetra and they all usually live in harmony
IMG_1552.jpeg

Last edited:
So do you have another tank? If you do have another tank suitable for the gold gourami I would temporarily move him/her into that tank for maybe 3 to 5 days. Rearrange the original tank a little bit and do a WC, then move him back in after the brief timeout.

Now the tank is brand new and so he should not be quite so territorial because it's not his anymore. I have a golden 125 with an assortment of other gouramis and barbs and she is very docile because she was not the first one in the tank so she knows to share the tank with everyone else.

So do you have another tank? If you do have another tank suitable for the gold gourami I would temporarily move him/her into that tank for maybe 3 to 5 days. Rearrange the original tank a little bit and do a WC, then move him back in after the brief timeout.

Now the tank is brand new and so he should not be quite so territorial because it's not his anymore. I have a golden 125 with an assortment of other gouramis and barbs and she is very docile because she was not the first one in the tank so she knows to share the tank with everyone else.
I will try this thank you 😊

Your Gold Gourami is a color variant of the Blue Gourami . Blue’s are pretty frisky . Not territorial or aggressive, they just play hard . A perfect gourami for a species only set up . They do not play well with others .

Your Gold Gourami is a color variant of the Blue Gourami . Blue’s are pretty frisky . Not territorial or aggressive, they just play hard . A perfect gourami for a species only set up . They do not play well with others .

Golds and Blues are colour varieties of the Three-Spot Gourami. Males get very territorial.

Actually, it's quite normal for a male gourami of the Trichogasters to show some dominance at some point. But dominance can be something temporary or remaining. In last case, some stronger fish in the same tank could get that dominance down.

Opalines were all the rage in the 70s. I’m still not sure how they differ from Blues, and I don’t think I’ve ever seen one labelled a Cosby. They all look pretty much the same to me.

Moving things around should help. I used to do that with my mbuna tank when some bully would start up. It always slowed down the aggression.

Let us know what happens...

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back