Got A Wee Question

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

magical trevor

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Good afternoon fellow aquarists

Ive got a question about a branch Ive found and stripped of bark. I would like to use in my tank.

First off what i do know.
1. It needs completly stripped of bark.
2. It needs soaked it hot water.
3.Then soaked for a few weeks.
4. Then scrubbed.

Things im unsure of are thats its most definatly Ash. I cannot find anything to say that its unsafe for aquariums but i cant find anything to say that it is.
It is rather light wood so iit shouldnt release a large amount of tannis.
Will this be safe with my 2 plecs?

Although it may be safe for your tank, am just wondering to myself why take the chance? It won't contain the lignum for your plecs to rasp on (they need it to aid digestion) so it's purely aesthetic. For that reason I would put my fish's safety first and stick to bogwood/mopani. Good luck with it if you do decide to use it.

Thanks for the replys.

Well i already have a piece and bogwood in my tank but i just fancied a lighter colour of wood than the usual dark red brown. Plus the branch is a nice shape. So the bogwood is staying for the plec and the branch is purely decorative.

Thanks

Well, all you can do is give it a go and see. I know it's ok to use wood from fruit trees, just wasn't sure about ash.

The wood of Fraxinus excelsior contains some sort of oils which is why it burns well when green or seasoned, because of these oils in the wood Im not sure if they'll be harmful. Only way to find out is to experiment and report back what happens.

Hmmm. Well i wouldnt want to kill fish in the process. But i can only test it i suppose. The wood is dry all the way through. Ill just soak it for a few weeks and see how it is. Then scrub it and dry it completly again and resoak before adding to the tank.

Id really hope that it wouldnt cause any major issues. I just wish some1 had already tried this.

Thanks

What's Happenin trev!? No saw your name in a while, how's the tank?

A found a really nice bit of branch today up the back of the Christie park bit its pretty massive, so iv planked it and will go back in the morning, armed with a saw, and collect it. So I'll be doing this experiment too, fun fun.

Ps... I'll have those rummys and chain loach ready ASAP :lol:

Hey dude! Yeah i hot a wkd kl branch up pike fishing but think itll be a good few months before it goes anywhere near ma tank! Lots of soaking and drying to remove any badness in it. Yeah man gees a shout and ill pick them up weneva. :)

What's Happenin trev!? No saw your name in a while, how's the tank?

A found a really nice bit of branch today up the back of the Christie park bit its pretty massive, so iv planked it and will go back in the morning, armed with a saw, and collect it. So I'll be doing this experiment too, fun fun.

Ps... I'll have those rummys and chain loach ready ASAP :lol:

Hey dude! Yeah i hot a wkd kl branch up pike fishing but think itll be a good few months before it goes anywhere near ma tank! Lots of soaking and drying to remove any badness in it. Yeah man gees a shout and ill pick them up weneva. :)
Both of you's located in the Vale? I stay 50 metres away from Christie park.

ill need to pop down for tht moss spence if ur still gettin ridd of it? u still going back to keeping sevs?

Both of you's located in the Vale? I stay 50 metres away from Christie park.
haha i didnt think there was any other folk from the vale on the forum!!
trev stays in the vale but spence is up the haldane boooo!!

Cool wonder if any of you's have seen me around. Im usually walking my black Labrador around christie park and along the river path.

Ive just started this hobby and got a pretty big tank. If you got any moss or plants be pretty good as im planning to get some shrimp in the near future. :good:

Nah cant say that I have m8, I stay in bonhill so im rarely down ur neck of the woods, I did have a flat in park st couple yrs ago tho.. I see in ur profile ur 27 did u go to the vale academy? If so ud have been the yr above me n the year below Spence

Lol small world!! I stay across from the vale academy on main street!

What's wrong with the haldane.... Iain? No much better than binhill :lol:

Actually.... It's pretty rubbish haha

Av got a we bit of moss for u Iain, some has taken to my wood so I'll keep some.

Am just gona get shot of my corys too so if you'd are interested?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back