June FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Wills

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
I've been trying to figure out how to get the rocks I need for my new Mbuna tank and I found a few sellers on Facebook selling big quantities of Frodo Stone at a price quite a bit lower than the aquascaping stores... unfortunately, the bigger of the two lots was further away than I could do and the second amount wasnt quite enough so as a combo it didnt work out.

But I got a message from the smaller lot which was only a few villages away from me and said I could have it for £20!! Its 22-24kg of rock and it retails for £8.50 per kg... so approx £200.

Frodo Stone is all collected in Poland by Adam Paszczela the owner of the ADA Studio there, one of the top aquatic artists in the world and just all round cool guy. Its popular compared to mini landscape / seriyu stone, which hardens the water, as it is inert despite being super weathered and veined. I have a quantity of this in one of my tanks already and can confirm its had no effect :)

Screenshot 2023-08-02 at 22.15.05.png

Screenshot 2023-08-02 at 22.15.13.png

Screenshot 2023-08-02 at 22.15.28.png

Now the crazy bit of this is that I don't actually have a use for this right now but... tank number 6 feels like its coming soon now!

Wills

Sounds like a bargain! I like your train of thought about finding a use for the stone. Look forward to seeing what you come up with!

Sounds like a bargain! I like your train of thought about finding a use for the stone. Look forward to seeing what you come up with!
Indeed! I need to work out where to put something but sure I can squeeze something in somewhere!

If you lived here, you could go to the beach and collect a few hundred kilos of limestone and sandstone for free.
With the costs of these things in the UK a round trip to Perth might be cheaper! I did try and find some places to scavenge but all unsuccessful - most beaches near me have white chalk rounded stones and boulders which I did think about but after a week in a tank would look disgusting, I did find one place that had some nice big rounded rocks that were beige and greys but it was on a super steep slope and there were signs saying not to take things...

How about a limestone quarry?
Or buy some limestone blocks from a hardware store and use a hammer and cold chisel to make some rocks.

How about a limestone quarry?
Or buy some limestone blocks from a hardware store and use a hammer and cold chisel to make some rocks.
Tried all kinds of things, quarries, garden/landscape wholesalers - none of them want to sell 10-15 rocks at a time only a big crate of 75-100 and won't even let you on site to see it. I've been round every garden centre in the area and most just have slate or those white chalk boulders I mentioned - I don't think rockeries or landscaping is too fashionable at the moment.

Got some black boulders on order now just waiting to get them delivered :) not too sure what I'll do with these Frodo Stones but sure something will come along soon!

Wills

Most reactions

Back