April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Circus

Fish Herder
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
I have been looking at heaters for when I set up my 90 gallon semi aggressive tank. I want one that will be consistent and stable for 79°F. I prefer adjustable heaters and am looking at 300 Watts. Brands I have looked at are Aquatop, Aqueon Pro series, Fluval, and Eheim. Are there any real differences, or does it just come down to "a heater is a heater"?

Get two 200 watt heaters, separated by a couple of feet. Stay away from really cheap brands.

I would place them at a 45 degree angle. Good brands are Fluval, , or Eheim in my opinion.

you need to calibrate them to get to proper temperature. You can't rely on the settings on the heaters.

Last edited:
two heaters are better because if one fails by not heating, the other will take over and prevent too low a temperature. And two heaters will heat a large tank more evenly than one larger heater

Last edited:
Thank you. I usually go for what is on sale for my smaller tanks, but with the big tank I actually have the time to fit it correctly. And not just scramble as usual.

That was pretty helpful! How do you calibrate a heater? I always assumed they came that way...

actually, I have had an earlier version of aqueon pro heaters and also have the newer version. I liked the older version but the newer version has a less visible on--off light and the dial doesnt line up with actual temp. So I cannot recommend the newer aqueon pro heater.

actually disregard my calibration post... do a youtube search for calibrating whatever brand you end up buying...calibration is important as indicated temp often varies from actual temp

The eheim and fluval both seem to have good reviews, so I will compare prices vs shipping on a couple online stores. And buy a thermometer, as I don't actually own a good digital one.

also I imagine that calibration instructions should be included in instructions for whatever brand you buy.

read reviews on Amazon to get an idea of people's experiences

I appreciate all of the advice! Until now I didn't realize exactly how complicated choosing a heater could be...

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back