Goldfish Newbie

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Fresh_Start

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hello,

I am a long time keeper of tropical fish but have never tried goldfish. Are there any good sites on the internet about goldfish? I've got a tank that is 48 inches long by 12 inches deep (122 cm x 30 cm). How many goldfish can I keep?

Hi there, for me, less is better with goldfish. They can be quite dirty, on the other hand, they are colorful, bold and friendly so they at least show up in your tank and don't hide from you. Have fun.

ALASKA

Were you thinking of Common Goldfish, Comets or Fancies? Comets and Common Goldfish need more space than the others as they grow larger and need more swimming room. Because of the Fancies shape they don't need so much swimming room as it tires them. Are you considering any other coldwater fish, for example Dojo/Wheather Loaches? :)

Hi there
I am still learning myself and have had many problems with my tank and ammonia but now I seem to have sorted this problem out.
I have had fancy goldfish since December and I now have a tank which is 3' long by 16 1/2" deep by about 12" wide.
I have 10 fancy goldfish and two plecs
My fish are
1x Lionhead
1x Pearl Scale
1x Calico Oranda
1x Red Oranda
2x Red and Black Orandas
2x Black Moors
1x Red Cap
1x Bubble Eye
2x Plecs
All of the fancies are extremely friendly but need somewhere to hide for resting and if they are feeling a little under the wheather.
Just make sure when you get your fish you get them from a reputable dealer ( I know this kind of speaks for itself but when I first started I got a Lionhead from Pets at Home which had some kind of problem which I wasn't aware of until it was too late. I lost 3 lovely fish 1 Pearl Scale 1 Pom Pom Oranda and a Lionhead I already had in the tank along with Lionhead which I introduced. All this happened in the space of a week. The new Lionhead was the last to die when I took it back to the store for a replacement ALL their stock of Lionheads were under treatment therefore making me realise that the problems I had just gone through was down to the new Lionhead. The store however DID replace ALL the fish which I had lost and now I have a nice set up with 10 beautiful and strange fish.)
All the best
Kaz Petts

jams.alaskan said:
Hi there, for me, less is better with goldfish. They can be quite dirty, on the other hand, they are colorful, bold and friendly so they at least show up in your tank and don't hide from you. Have fun.

ALASKA
Hello,

Yes, I looked around and it seems like one goldfish per 10 gallons is the general rule. So I can get four gold fish in my 40 gallon tank. I'll buy the first one in a few weeks after the tank cycle is done.

ryan said:
Were you thinking of Common Goldfish, Comets or Fancies? Comets and Common Goldfish need more space than the others as they grow larger and need more swimming room. Because of the Fancies shape they don't need so much swimming room as it tires them. Are you considering any other coldwater fish, for example Dojo/Wheather Loaches? :)
I don't know yet, maybe a mix of different types of goldfish. Also I saw your picture of the pearl scale. Is the tail really that blue? :eek:

kaz petts said:
Hi there
I am still learning myself and have had many problems with my tank and ammonia but now I seem to have sorted this problem out.
I have had fancy goldfish since December and I now have a tank which is 3' long by 16 1/2" deep by about 12" wide.
I have 10 fancy goldfish and two plecs
My fish are
1x Lionhead
1x Pearl Scale
1x Calico Oranda
1x Red Oranda
2x Red and Black Orandas
2x Black Moors
1x Red Cap
1x Bubble Eye
2x Plecs
All of the fancies are extremely friendly but need somewhere to hide for resting and if they are feeling a little under the wheather.
Just make sure when you get your fish you get them from a reputable dealer ( I know this kind of speaks for itself but when I first started I got a Lionhead from Pets at Home which had some kind of problem which I wasn't aware of until it was too late. I lost 3 lovely fish 1 Pearl Scale 1 Pom Pom Oranda and a Lionhead I already had in the tank along with Lionhead which I introduced. All this happened in the space of a week. The new Lionhead was the last to die when I took it back to the store for a replacement ALL their stock of Lionheads were under treatment therefore making me realise that the problems I had just gone through was down to the new Lionhead. The store however DID replace ALL the fish which I had lost and now I have a nice set up with 10 beautiful and strange fish.)
All the best
Kaz Petts
Thanks for the help! I'll try to find the best goldfish dealer I can. I thought about mail order but that is too expensive, especially since I only want to add one at a time.

I wouldn't mix Fancies with normally Goldfish or Comets under any circumstances. The faster Common Goldfish and Comets will easily out compete the less robust Fancies for food, believe me this does happen. Here is a pic of my Pearlscale, sorry about the quality hes very hard to photograph. :)

http://images.fotopic.net/?id=2230146&outx=600&oq=0

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back