Goldfish ATE crawfish?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Liamandlennyogs

Reaction score
Yes, you read that right.
I have an approximately 8" comet goldfish (with a giant mouth) named John that I have had for over a year. He's in a 55 gallon tank with a few other small goldfish.

In the past I've kept a red crawfish in the tank who lived to be about 3 years old. He never bothered the fish, but John used to "bully" him and take his food (despite being adequately fed.) He's never shown any signs of aggression, which I believe goldfish shouldn't.

After my crawfish passed, I decided to get a baby blue electric one who was about an inch big. John did the same thing to the baby, he would steal the food and he would swim in the way of the fish. I tried to keep them separate when feeding and aside from the food stealing and the occasional swimming in his way, my fish never bothered one another.

I was in a rush today so i didnt seperate them while feeding, just dumped the food in the tank and ran out the door. When i came back my blue fellow was being eaten by John! I didn't see him kill the crawfish, but he was alive and well a few hours prior, and he didn't molt. I can't think of any other reasons for the baby to die, And John is the only fish that could be capable of killing him.

Is this possible? Has anyone ever heard of anything like this?? I thought it was usually crawfish killing goldfish so I'm incredibly confused.

Additional details:
55 gal tank
20% weekly water changes + 50% every month
0 ammonia, nitrate, nitrite
Temperature 70
PH 7.5

fish will eat anything that fits in their mouth. If you have a big goldfish and a small crayfish (crawfish), the goldfish could eat it.

on a side note, I would do a 50% water change and gravel clean the tank every week, rather than 20%. Goldfish are pretty messy and the bigger water change will help keep the water cleaner :)

Agreed (on both counts). If it fits in the mouth its food.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back