Goldfish Are Not Eating Any Food

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

cooledwhip

Fishaholic
Reaction score
This is kind of a longer story, sorry:

A while ago my LFS show orandas had a massive spawning and I jumped on this and purchased 8 oranda babies. I bought them and they were still brown/black and about a quarter inch long in size.

I bought them about a week ago. I split them up, I put three in a 10 gallon planted tank with a sponge filter, 2 into a 20 gallon tote bucket with lots of my plants( not filtered but it has an air stone)

and 3 of them into a pond I made out of a tub. I basically have a 55 gallon plastic tub in my garage that is heated and has a 90 gallon filter. Basically a few days ago I checked the pond and only saw 2 fish, I looked at the filter in take (it is a HOB filter) like the vent things and part of a goldfish was stuck on there. He was dead, I don't know if he died just of natural causes and the intake pulled him in or he got caught. Either way I bought some fluval foam filter blocks and wrapped them aro und that so it's less of an intake and things HOPEFULLY won't get caught. 

Since I bought the goldfish they have grown to about half an inch, but the main reason why I posted this is because they fish just don't eat. I have goldfish flakes which I have tried just putting the entire flakes to feed them, I have tried crushing them into crumbs, I even tried boiling an egg and crushing up the yolk. The goldfish just don't swim to the top and eat the food like my guppies do.

I always see them on the ground eating crap, I literally don't know if it's plant waste, old food, poop, or what. I have them in planted tanks. Can anyone help me with this? My tanks are fully cycled and as far as I know, 3 baby goldfish is not over stocking.

I'm scared that they are unhealthy because they don't eat, I want them to be healthy and grow fast. Here are some pictures, the picture of the fish is an average of how big they are and the tub is my heated tub in my garage where the 1 fish died.

http://imgur.com/a/0i14C

If they are growing, I'd assume they are eating. Fish won't eat dirt or excrement so they will likely be picking up uneaten food from the bottom.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back