Golden Wonder Panchax.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

White Whale

Granola bar gone bad....
Reaction score
Anybody have experience with these? Please tell me what I need to know to keep them. Tenx! :)

The "Golden Wonder" is a golden colour morph of the Panchax Aplocheilus lineatus. I have never had the gold ones, but the originals I have had many times. These are a sparkly greenish fish with numerous more or less distinct vertical stripes.

They are peaceful enough with anything they can't fit into their quite large mouth. Guppies for example, will be eaten. Otherwise, they are easy to keep, easy to feed and easy to breed. Live a good deal longer then the many other types, 3-4 years is by no means unusual.

If you've never kept killies before, you couldn't really have picked an better species to begin with.

You had no gold ones as a matter of choice or because they are unavailable?
I know I am going to get reamed on the next part. I bought a 1-inch gold and keeping him the same way I am keeping bettas - the only exception being a 10% water change everyday and a live plant (amazon sword). He's in a half-gallon. As soon as he grows he'll be moved to an Azoo tank. I'm hoping to get my 20g set up before he grows.

So far he seems calm and is eating red grubs. He likes to play peek-a-boo behind the plant. He's kind of hard to spot at times because he's flatter than a betta and I have some broken leaves floating on top as cover for him.

I've seen the golden wonders, but I prefer the original colours.

A half gallon is not ideal for a predatory fish which grows quickly.

Thanx for the input. I'll see if I can find larger quarters for him. He's an inch so I hope he doesn't grow too fast.

BTW, their feeding technique is different than what I'm used to. They float near their prey like an alligator, and once it's perpendicular to it's eye it snatches it with one quick swipe to the side - real fast!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back