Going To Fish Store Today

The "Inch per gallon" method is a good starting point for newcomers to the hobby. It is always worth considering though, where in the tank your fish are going to spend most of their time. Top, middle or bottom. A tank that was 24"x12"x12" would be 15 gallons. On that was 24"x12"x24" would be 30 gallons ... I wouldn't for a moment say that you could fit twice the amount of bristlenose plecs into the 30 gallon tank as it had exactly the same footprint as the 15 gallon one.

Given adequate filtration and care, you can often find room for that extra fish or two. You just need to ask yourself "can my filter handle the extra bioload?" "Is the part of the tank the fish will be using, already saturated?" "Will the adition of this extra fish cause any teritorial problems?" If you can answer no to these questions, then go for it.

Hmmm ... that sounded like a ramble ...

//James
 
Thanks K-Holed, this is my first official tank so i'm very new. I had a biorb before and will NEVER get one again!

Hope mine are ok, added my fish in my sig :P
 
Never get 2 gouramis unless your tank is 40+gallons. I had a bad experience in my 30 gallon with 2 gouramis.
One was constantly eating the others fins until he actually killed him. Gouramis are very territorial at times.
 
imo the 1inch of fish per gallon isnt something i think about, just go with what u want and if u think its a little crowded then stop.

Jodie!!!

This theory can get you into alot of trouble. What you are saying is fill until its crowded. Well how many of your fish at this point are full size? If its crowded when some of the fish are young, then what happens when there full sized? There is a reason we use the 1" per gal rule using ADULT sizes, not size when purchased.

P.S. Just because no deaths doesn't mean your fish are happy. And wait for them to grow bigger, then see if its still bare.
 
imo the 1inch of fish per gallon isnt something i think about, just go with what u want and if u think its a little crowded then stop.

Jodie!!!

This theory can get you into alot of trouble. What you are saying is fill until its crowded. Well how many of your fish at this point are full size? If its crowded when some of the fish are young, then what happens when there full sized? There is a reason we use the 1" per gal rule using ADULT sizes, not size when purchased.

P.S. Just because no deaths doesn't mean your fish are happy. And wait for them to grow bigger, then see if its still bare.

my fish are fully sized! thank you very much
 
Can we go back to topic and my last 2 posts and what all of you think? :)

One of them seems to be crammed under an ornament at the moment on its side (no movement).. I heard this is normal behaviour for Loaches?
 
imo the 1inch of fish per gallon isnt something i think about, just go with what u want and if u think its a little crowded then stop.

Jodie!!!

This theory can get you into alot of trouble. What you are saying is fill until its crowded. Well how many of your fish at this point are full size? If its crowded when some of the fish are young, then what happens when there full sized? There is a reason we use the 1" per gal rule using ADULT sizes, not size when purchased.

P.S. Just because no deaths doesn't mean your fish are happy. And wait for them to grow bigger, then see if its still bare.

Right, one inch per gallon doesn't always work, since, one ten inch fish has 100 times more mass than ten one inch fish. Get the photograph? Anyhow, a bristlenose will need at least 75 litres to be happy. The extra five makes a big difference. I would not recommend adding more fish, because even though the water is crystal clear, your tank could crash, because you can add ammonia to water and it will be clear as ever, but toxic to fish. That, and the fact that when the fish fill out, the tank will be physically crowded, and that could lead to fighting!

Oi! And I just noticed you had two clown loaches! They'll need around 280 liters!
 
The clown loaches are tiny at the moment and I was told are slow growers, someone i know had 2 of them happily living in a 70L for years.

I will be getting a much bigger tank when i get into a new place early next year. :) (thinking of a 300-400L)

I'm going to stop there for now, I could probably push about 6 tetras but i'm not sure if I will.... someone here has a LOT more than me in a 70L and seems to be ok, as I said.. I check levels etc.

To comfirm, loaches hiding under rocks is normal isn't it?
 
That is normal, for Clowns. They WILL need the bigger tank though...They ARE lovely fish!
 
They are about 1 and a half inches (maybe a bit more) atm, will they be fine for another 6-8 months until I get a new place with a bigger tank?
 
Well...it's hard to say. They do grow slowly, but I think they grow fairly quickly at first, and then slow down. You may get away with it, but 70l is a small tank....
 

Most reactions

Back
Top