Going To Fish Store Today

justjon

Fishaholic
Joined
Dec 29, 2007
Messages
666
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Hi guys, long time :P

I am going to the LFS today to get some more fish, at the moment I have a 70L Tank with:

1x Bristlenose Pleque
4x Amano Shrimp
2x Mollies

I want to know what else I can get in it, I was thinking of getting 6-8 Neon Tetra's Today... (Can I mix them, and get say 4 neons and 4 cardinals or is it better not to?)

After i've got those, I was wondering if I could push it to 2 more fish, perhaps gourami's ?

And that'd be it.

Any advice on the above would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
 
Hi guys, long time :P

I am going to the LFS today to get some more fish, at the moment I have a 70L Tank with:

1x Bristlenose Pleque
4x Amano Shrimp
2x Mollies

I want to know what else I can get in it, I was thinking of getting 6-8 Neon Tetra's Today... (Can I mix them, and get say 4 neons and 4 cardinals or is it better not to?)

After i've got those, I was wondering if I could push it to 2 more fish, perhaps gourami's ?

And that'd be it.

Any advice on the above would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

If its well filtered and you do regular water changes, i would at a push go to 15 fish in it..
 
I have Neons and Cardinals mixed...they all shoal together, and there are no problems...
 
Thanks, what about the numbers i'm thinking for the size of the tank, is that ok?
 
Allright, but you wouldnt reccomend getting 2 more fish (at a push)? Like 2 gouramis or anything?
 
To be honest im not familiar with them so someone else will have to answer that m8..

Id go 15 fish max in it.
 
I've got Flame Tetra and Harlequin Rasboras in my tank. They look good together and they're not Neons (which I think are kinda lame personally, but thats just me).
 
I don't like blanket statements like you can have x no of fish in that tank. 10 oscars need a v different tank to 10 neons, even amongst small fish they are not all equal and you need to asses it more on the merit of the individual fish rather than just give a no of fish.

so for new tanks and fishkeepers we usually addvise to stock 1" of fish per us gallon of water.You're tank is roughly 18 gals so 18" if fish, this does have some flexibility in it but just use it as a rough idea.

Once the tank is mature you can push this a little to something like 1.5" per gallon but don't go much over that in a small tank.

So you currently have

1x Bristlenose Pleque - 6"
4x Amano Shrimp - 4"
2x Mollies - 6"

so that's 16" of fish, near enough full already!

Now the BN is probably not 6" yet and will take a few months to get there so you can work your stocking for the first 6 months while the tank is immature as something like this

1x Bristlenose Pleque - 3"
4x Amano Shrimp - 4"
2x Mollies - 6"

total - 13"

then when the tank gets past the 6 month mark and your BN has grown you should calculate it using 6" again.

So for now I think you have room to put 6/8 neons/cardinals into the tank but then it's full up for the first 6 months. After that you could fit a pair of small feature fish in there, something like rams would work well, one of the smaller gourami's would be fine but the 'normal' sized gourami's would be too big for the tank.
 
Im supposedly overstocked (look at my 70 in my sig), but have great filtration so the water is crystal clear and perfect params, which is obv the most important thing.
 
i think u can have about 8 tetras and honey gouramis/ thick lipped ones (they dont get big) and imo the 1inch of fish per gallon isnt something i think about, just go with what u want and if u think its a little crowded then stop, i have a 60l with 2 golden loach, 5 serpae tetras, 6 cherry barbs, 2 honey gourami and tmoz or friday im added 4 mickey mouse platys!!! so some people may say OVERSTOCKED but by looking at the tank its bare and no fish have died since adding all of them and its been set up for a bout a year so....
Hope this helps!!!!
Jodie!!!
 
youd be ok with your current stock plus the neons and cardinals you want. then maybe 1 male and 1 female honey gouramis. honey gouramis are very very peaceful and stay about 1.5 inches. good luck.
 
Well guys, I went to all 3 fish stores on the island and NONE had neons in stock, so i've chosen to get two very small Clown Loaches at the moment and leave it at that.

I am planning on moving soon and when I do will be getting a bigger tank, and I heard Clown Loaches grow very slowly.

I've had my bristlenose for a year now and he's grown but pretty much seems he's stopped growing now and he's about 4-5inches long.

Thanks for all your replys, I know some people are very strict on the amount of fish in a tank, but I check levels constantly, have very good filtration and airation in the water and if I do encounter issues the fish store I got them from have told me i'm welcome to take them back (if they seem stressed).
 

Most reactions

Back
Top