Glass Test Tubes

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

thefishmesswithmywater

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
I have managed to break two glass test tubes in as many days. I have the API master test kit but do I need to replace them with more API ones or could I get a more robust replacement? I don't want to mess up the test results :/ I am guessing plastic would be no good. I am open to changing brand if anyone has any suggestions.

There’s nothing wrong with plastic test tubes they work fine, and if you drop one. It will just bounce lol.

Good to know, thanks. I had it in my head the plastic could maybe hold some of the chemicals from previous tests. Or the colour would be different in a different type of bottle. Inexperienced!:)

I would not use any other test tube but the API ones. They are designed (correct size/materials/etc) by the company to give fairly precise results, messing with that design may end up giving false results, certainly not something you require.

Plastic also can be porous to an extent, so yes it could retain some of the previous tests. Plastic may also release undesirable or react badly to any of the chemicals used in the tests causing tests to be inaccurate. 

There would be a reason glass is used for test tubes, for API and for many many other scientific purposes, again it is not something i would personally risk

I agree with Alasse
Plastic can leach stuff out and absorb stuff too so stick to glass ones. They don't have to be API ones tho - I got my replacement ones from eBay when I broke some of mine whilst giving them a good shake after rinsing and ended up clonking them on the sink! You should be able to get a 5 ml syringe from your local chemist to add the right amount of water. (Don't be tempted to use a t-spoon tho as not all t-spoons are 5ml.)
I have switched from API to Salifert (most are suitable for FW as well as salt water apart from the pH one I believe), they are easier to use, need less water to test and less time, but I used up my API ones first.

Mamashack said:
I agree with Alasse
Plastic can leach stuff out and absorb stuff too so stick to glass ones. They don't have to be API ones tho - I got my replacement ones from eBay when I broke some of mine whilst giving them a good shake after rinsing and ended up clonking them on the sink! You should be able to get a 5 ml syringe from your local chemist to add the right amount of water. (Don't be tempted to use a t-spoon tho as not all t-spoons are 5ml.)
I have switched from API to Salifert (most are suitable for FW as well as salt water apart from the pH one I believe), they are easier to use, need less water to test and less time, but I used up my API ones first.
Thanks for that I will start buying them now and then when I run out of my API I should be fully stocked :)

Alasse said:
I would not use any other test tube but the API ones. They are designed (correct size/materials/etc) by the company to give fairly precise results, messing with that design may end up giving false results, certainly not something you require.

Plastic also can be porous to an extent, so yes it could retain some of the previous tests. Plastic may also release undesirable or react badly to any of the chemicals used in the tests causing tests to be inaccurate. 

There would be a reason glass is used for test tubes, for API and for many many other scientific purposes, again it is not something i would personally risk
Thanks that was my thinking, you have to take care to get consistent results anyway I could do without any other factors!

I teach a lab for Koi Organisation International and buy API tubes online in boxes of 24.  They cost about $0.69 @ that way - everything considered (product, tax, shipping, etc.)

Spike

The API replacements are under AU$2, so not at all expensive.Not sure on price for other countries though sorry :)

The only one I've found that isn't a bulk pack is THIS and 1 tube is $4.89 or a little over AU$5. I should probably get the 24 pack..I've broken 2 test tubes this week! :lol:

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Ahh bit better price on that single 1! Thanks for the links Alasse. I stink at finding stuff :p

Plastic is just fine. Look at any pool test kit- they are plastic. Look at the SeaChem Multi Test Kit- plastic containers and pipettes. Same for Red Sea kits.

But then all of the API reagents come in little bottles made of?

I use a continuous digital monitor. The calibrations kits for pH which use calibration solutions all come with plastic containers and these instructions.:

Only use plastic containers when cleaning, calibrating and/or hydrating.
from https://www.getbluelab.com/getdoc/f2e774a8-f9b8-4940-8340-b53fd9f45955/File

All you need is plastic tubes with the same 5 ml mark. I have two plastic ones. One has marks for 5 and 10 ml the other has a third at 15 ml. That one also has marks to allow one to further measure in single ml increments. This makes it easy to do diluted testing.

As for buying the 24 API tube pack in the states, $15.99 here http://www.petsolutions.com/C/Aquarium-Test-Kits/I/24-Test-Tubes.aspx

TwoTankAmin said:
Plastic is just fine. Look at any pool test kit- they are plastic. Look at the SeaChem Multi Test Kit- plastic containers and pipettes. Same for Red Sea kits.

But then all of the API reagents come in little bottles made of?

I use a continuous digital monitor. The calibrations kits for pH which use calibration solutions all come with plastic containers and these instructions.:

Only use plastic containers when cleaning, calibrating and/or hydrating.
from https://www.getbluelab.com/getdoc/f2e774a8-f9b8-4940-8340-b53fd9f45955/File

All you need is plastic tubes with the same 5 ml mark. I have two plastic ones. One has marks for 5 and 10 ml the other has a third at 15 ml. That one also has marks to allow one to further measure in single ml increments. This makes it easy to do diluted testing.

As for buying the 24 API tube pack in the states, $15.99 here http://www.petsolutions.com/C/Aquarium-Test-Kits/I/24-Test-Tubes.aspx

Do you use a continuos digital monitor for all your tests? And if so, what one do you use?

I'd be keen to get myself one, thanks.

I need to monitor TDS and pH. The unit reads those and temp. I have choices for what methods/scales to use for each of the 3 params. Only the pH needs to be recalibrated regularly.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back