Glass lily pipe question

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Holm_Tanks.

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have 1/2" lily pipes for my canister filter, and the hoses fit right on them. I wanted to upgrade to a different canister but the inside diameter of those hoses is bigger. The hose would be 5/8" id, so it wouldnt fit on my 1/2" lily pipes. I don't want to purchase another set of lily pipes, can I just use a hose adapter to go from 5/8 to 1/2. like this. Will this work, with the flow from the bigger filter be to much for the adapter/smaller lily pipes? Or will using the adapter and pipes I already have be fine?

As long as the adapter you use is approved for drinking water (which hopefully means it isn't leaching toxins into the water), it should work just fine. You'll have to go from the 5/8 hose to a 1/2" hose, then attach that to the lily pipe.

I wouldn't anticipate the different flow being a big problem (I could be wrong there--I've never used lily pipes), though of course it will be coming out faster. I would advise using good, tight hose clamps so the extra pressure doesn't blow something loose.

As long as the adapter you use is approved for drinking water (which hopefully means it isn't leaching toxins into the water), it should work just fine. You'll have to go from the 5/8 hose to a 1/2" hose, then attach that to the lily pipe.

I wouldn't anticipate the different flow being a big problem (I could be wrong there--I've never used lily pipes), though of course it will be coming out faster. I would advise using good, tight hose clamps so the extra pressure doesn't blow something loose.
Thank you, that makes a lot of sense. I should probably put the adapter closer to the top so there’s only a short distance of smaller hose right? Or would it be ok if it was lower/longer distance of the small hose? If I get the new filter I’ll take it outside and test all the ideas and see what happens ;)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back