ghost shrimp

hargi22

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
just got back from lfs with 2 ghost shrimp to put in with my betta and there te coolest thing ever!

What size is it?

Buy a couple of sinking pellets for them, that way you can be sure they get food. :D

They are cool--a very nice addition to community tanks.

I love ghost shrimp and keep them in most of my tanks :wub:

I do find however,that in my 1 gallon homes the shrimp will quickly get killed by the betta.In my bigger tanks,2 gallon and up,the fish don't bother them.Not sure why that is...maybe 1 g is just too small for more than one occupant :lol:

Koda

i have 7 in a 10 gallon with 4 guppies and they're awesome!!! :D Good luck with yours!

its a 5g there busy eating a algea tablet ment for plecs at the mow seams to be enjoying it.

You say you have them in your community tank??
i have a 30g which is pritty full of fish would adding some shrimp make any difference to the like amount of fish i can keep.
also would the plec and catfish bother them?
if not how many should i add and will they help eat the stringy green algea thats on some of my plants?

cherrs matt

I've just put 2 mountain shrimp in my big tank and they seem to be getting along fine. It's only been a couple of days though but I'll post an update if anyone's interested.

They've camped on a large piece of wood which is in the flow from the filter outlet.

My catfish haven't paid any attention to them yet, the Angelfish were curious when the bag was floating in the tank but soon swam off when they saw the size of them.

I asked my lfs about them, they said they are not big polluters and should clean up any scraps of food that the others miss.

:unsure: I have heard that ghoast shrimp are aggresive and will eat fish swimming by...thats why i have never had them before...

bshockstubb said:
:unsure: I have heard that ghoast shrimp are aggresive and will eat fish swimming by...thats why i have never had them before...
Ghost shrimp are normally passive, but may become aggressive in warmer temperatures.
I have seen ghost shrimp pick on fish twice their size. :lol:

Is there any other name to call Ghost Shirmp by? Everytime I go to the LFS they always tell me that they've only heard of Ghost Shrimp as being used as fish bait. I just keep getting so frustrated everytime I go and ask for them because everyone just keeps looking at me like a raving lunatic looking for bait shrimp to put with my bettas.

I don't know if the ghost shrimp go buy anthor name, but I got mine at Wal-mart.
So you might want to check at your nearst shopping center if your lfs doesn't have them. ;)

The shrimp I have are filter feeders. They have several fan type things on the end of their limbs that they use to filter food particles to eat.

If you're worried about shrimp eating your fish, I'd make sure you get filter feeders as I think they are passive, I could be wrong though. If anything I'd say my shrimp are more scared of the fish.

I've only seen 1 since the day they were in the tank (Saturday) and he's wedged in a crevice with his little fans out catching food. I'm concerned about the other but if he's found a similar locaiton out of immediate sight he might not have moved far either.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back