Geophagus Winemilleri Breeding

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

A lot of new babies!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVtZRQ6uqtA&feature=youtu.be

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3rGxzvktVM

The older babies are doing great. They are now about 15 mm in length.

this is a really good thread. i sold my geophagus megasema to a guy who was trying to breed winemilleri. i don't think the eggs ever hatched in his case though.

how long does it take the fry to grow to about 1 inch? ive got loads of jewel cichlid fry at the moment (at least 200 id say!) and ive left them in with mum and dad who are taking great care of them, they'll be 2 weeks old on tuesday and are growing fairly well so far. its just kinda hard to judge how much and how often to feed them. i need to start a journal aswell, its amazing how many there are! lol :)

Theyre looking great well done :) keep the pictures coming

I love eartheaters i hope i can find some locally when i get my tank set up 

Thank you, everyone!

Tropical_Dave, some of the fry is now about an inch in length. Now it's obvious which ones have been eating the most, as they are much bigger than the other fry. To grow to that length has taken about 2 months, and some of the fry isn't quite there yet.

I have fed the babies 3 times a day, they have a feeding automat.

Today we are trying to get another patch of fry moved from their parents in the main tank to a a different one. We have put up another 50 liter aquarium for the new baby fish.
smile.png

piilokutu.jpg

sillit+tabulla+tarkka.jpg

tungosta.jpg

Yesterday we moved the older fry to a much bigger tank, as the 40 liter was starting to be way too small. Now they are in a 200 liter one.

Hey there,

How are the geos getting along? I'm betting they've grown quite a bit since your last post!

Do you do anything to get them to spawn? Or just leave them to it?

Thanks. Yes, they are about 4-4,5 CMS now, and now we have three different sets of fry in different tanks. The oldest are 3,5 months old, the second ones are about 2 months and the third ones are about a week old. We don't do anything special, just leave them to it. :)

Have you ever tried leaving a batch in the tank and seeing how many the parents can keep alive? Should be something interesting to observe, as I hear they get better at it every time :)

10284753_10152155883929069_2842154870699824162_o_zpsc9310e75.jpg

Here's how some of the oldest are doing right now. :) They are about 5cm in lenght.

AeonMapa, actually one pair is mouthbrooding at the moment! We have disided to not to take them, as we are already raising three different patches and we have no room for more. Those three patches of offspring are already about 80.

I have noticed that in about 1,5-2 months of age the baby fish were old enough to recognize me. Every time I went to our kitchen (that's where we keep the smaller tanks) they came to beg for food. And they do this only to me, not to my husband. :D Now, when the biggest ones are about 4-month-olds, they're really fast when they see me.

They wouldn't even need to beg naturally, as we feed them several times a day as they are fast growing babies! But fishes think they're always starving, right? :p

The previous batch got eaten by someone, maybe even by their own parents. The parents were doing a  great job for the 3 days they let the fry go out once in a while, then the fry disappeared and the parents have returned to every day sand digging and eating.

This is why we have taken the batches we want as soon as they are out. Though, we can have any new ones at the moment, so it's only good that they are gone.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back