General stocking questions

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Sorry to bother again for the millionth time. Did the regular pH test came up 7.6 which is the top end of that test. it could be that but I'm more inclined to believe that it's the 8 that the high range pH test is reading. The thing that puzzles me is the two strip tests that both came up with similar pH which was 7 ish were two different brands so that's weird too.
The good thing is it doesn't really matter which is right. As mentioned before hardness tells you what fish are suitable. All they need is a stable pH, so as long as the test is about the same as it was last time everything is ok.
When I get new strips I always do a test with new and old together before the old pack runs out so when I test with the new strips I know what they read last time. If truth be told I hardly ever test pH (or anything else) because I know my tanks are stable. I keep the tests to help me diagnose problems should they occur.

Once you achieve that stable environment maintenance is pretty easy as long as you keep up with the weekly water changes.

The good thing is it doesn't really matter which is right. As mentioned before hardness tells you what fish are suitable. All they need is a stable pH, so as long as the test is about the same as it was last time everything is ok.
When I get new strips I always do a test with new and old together before the old pack runs out so when I test with the new strips I know what they read last time. If truth be told I hardly ever test pH (or anything else) because I know my tanks are stable. I keep the tests to help me diagnose problems should they occur.

Once you achieve that stable environment maintenance is pretty easy as long as you keep up with the weekly water changes.

Okay thank you I appreciate it just wanted to check with you guys

I have a similar thing. I use liquid Api and get 8, my daughter uses api strips and gets 7, the water is the same source. Tap water tests 7.6 on liquid tests. I still don't know which is right but sometimes if you look at a test strip later on the reading changes to a higher colour so I'm inclined to rely on liquid tests.

I agree it's the same way I feel

Sorry to bother again for the millionth time. Did the regular pH test came up 7.6 which is the top end of that test. it could be that but I'm more inclined to believe that it's the 8 that the high range pH test is reading. The thing that puzzles me is the two strip tests that both came up with similar pH which was 7 ish were two different brands so that's weird too.

I would not leave this dangling. I need to know my source water parameters because there is nothing else to compare tank water tests to when it comes to GH (though that should remain the same) and pH.

Previously the water authority's GH number was mentioned and we sorted that out. Did/do they have a pH number?

And again, testing tap water and tank water for pH is a different process. Tank water can be tested immediately and the result should be accurate. Tap water should stand out for 24 hours before being tested for pH.

I would not leave this dangling. I need to know my source water parameters because there is nothing else to compare tank water tests to when it comes to GH (though that should remain the same) and pH.

Previously the water authority's GH number was mentioned and we sorted that out. Did/do they have a pH number?

And again, testing tap water and tank water for pH is a different process. Tank water can be tested immediately and the result should be accurate. Tap water should stand out for 24 hours before being tested for pH.

The number of the water company had for pH the most recent quarter of this year was 7.6. and I remember you or one of the other members telling me about the 24 hours so I took a sample yesterday and I'm going to test it around 3

A big thanks to Essjay, Naughts, Byron, Seangee for all your help with all my incessant questioning. I appreciate it guys!!!

Okay so I went out and got a GH KH test kit. For GH I tested tank water four times and got 12,14,12,12. For tap water I tested the GH and got 4,7,6,5

4 KH I tested the tank water and got 3,3,3. And for KH tap water I got 5,5,4.

so does that mean that I have something in my tank that is raising the hardness? All I have in my tank is to store-bought decorations 3 fake plants some light brown pea-sized gravel from Walmart and I did put in 9 or 10 pieces of marine pure high-performance bio media filter just sitting on the gravel as some extra bio media as I'm still cycling my tank.

I did let the tap water sit before I tested it probably closer to 48 hours.

First on the pH from yesterday, what was the pH of the tap water after sitting 24 hours?

Now to the GH. There is no need to let tap water sit for GH. But, you should not be getting four different readings in a row. Using the API liquid test, I find it easier to hold the open tube vertical over a pure white surface (a sheet of paper on the counter works fine) and view the colour looking down through the open test tube. Take the 5 ml tap water, add the first drop, cap the tube and shake, then remove the cap and view as I just indicated. At the first sign of a green tint, that is your number. You do not need to get a dark or brighter green, just the first change to green.

And now to the tap/tank difference. If this is still different after using the afore-mentioned method, then something in the tank is increasing the GH.
Substrate gravel...do you still have the bag, and if yes, what does it say it contains? Or can you find a link to this product?
The marine pure high-performance bio media filter...I looked this up and don't see why you should use it. I would take it out if you can.
You mention cycling, are there fish in this tank?

Okay firstly as far as the pH I will test that right now and post in a couple minutes.and as far as the GH I will do another three tests because there was a couple of times where I thought it was just starting to turn colors but I gave another drop to make a darker like you said not to do. I will take out the bio media filter. And I am going to look up a link on the gravel. And yes I'm cycling my 20 gallon long with 3 fish in it. 2 mollies and a dwarf gourami.

And I am currently working on rehoming the mollies as I found out my water isn't hard enough for them

All right pH out of the tap testing at 8.2. and not sure if it helps I just saw in case you have the number I tested my tank pH and it's still at about 7.8. and for the GH test I retested the tap water straight out of the tap and got 5/5/5. And also retested the water out of the tank and got 11/12/11. So like you said something in there is raising the hardness. I took out the Marine high performance bio media out of the tank but I do have a bag of it in my filter for extra filter media should I remove that as well?

All right pH out of the tap testing at 8.2. and not sure if it helps I just saw in case you have the number I tested my tank pH and it's still at about 7.8. and for the GH test I retested the tap water straight out of the tap and got 5/5/5. And also retested the water out of the tank and got 11/12/11. So like you said something in there is raising the hardness. I took out the Marine high performance bio media out of the tank but I do have a bag of it in my filter for extra filter media should I remove that as well?

Let's get the GH sorted out. With fish in the tank, the bio media might be useful to remove ammonia/nitrite though I don't know what this might mean for the cycling. Better leave it in the filter just in case.

It's fairly clear there is something calcareous in the tank that is dissolving calcium/magnesium and raising GH. I wouldn't expect it to be this media, the Walmart gravel is more likely. See if you can find any reference to this gravel.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back