Garage Conversion

§tudz

A True Oddball
Reaction score
Well, some of you may have been reading my questions about my garage conversion (still havent moved in yet, should be a few weeks yet)
I have created a plan for the garage and thought I would share it.

click for full size

Key:

• Blue lines: water
  • Red lines: piping for filter
  • Green lines: air line
  • Smaller boxes: fluval 505 filters
  • Large red box: pond filter to filter all racked tanks
  • Rounded green box: large air pump
  • Pink wall insulation covered with outdoor grade marine plywood
  • Blue boxes: desk fans ceiling mounted

I havent decided where the heaters will go, and alsop the window is not quite right (as cant remeber exactly how it was, :blush: )

Will be pricing up the insultation, plywood, insulation, paint (for walls), and driveway paint (for the floor) next weekend.

sweet, looks like that will be awesome once its completed!

good lucks

cant wait to see some photos when you get started

I think it looks great.

I am however confused about this type of fish room. It makes sense if you're breeding. But I see fish as something to sit and enjoy. And rooms like this aren't a place you can sit and enjoy your tanks.

Just myview..

oh and you could use overflows in the sump going into the drain so that when it comes to changing water you just fill the tank up, water flows over into the sump, sump overflows to drain :) Hey presto!

Well I have finally moved in (well two weeks ago) and I have had the wiring redone in the garage. It is now on its own ring main and Ive had the main cables changed for thicker ones.

The window is a lot smaller and closer to the back of the garage. I need to measure up again and redo the layout design.

I also need to get some photos though.

I will possibly be insulting the walls this weekend, if I get chance, and Im not too hung over from the the Staff night out on friday lol.

Don't go insulting the walls, they may take offense.
Glad to hear you have the room ready to bring in the tanks and fish. Enjoy your staff night out and don't worry too much if it is noon before you feel ready to tackle the fish room.

Well the state the previous owner left the garage in, insulting the walls is the least of their worries, lol.

I understand that you are improving the garage §tudz.
While you are at it, why not insulate the walls? :blush:

I will have a go :D

I was on the B&Q website last night found all the stuff I needed when to order it, not available for home delivery, means Im going to have go hire a van now to go buy the stuff :(
or find some place that will deliver

Just had all my materials delivered for the conversion.

Two of the planks Im using for the studing are warpped :grr: so might have to take them back, unless I can cut them to use in the studding themselves.

I will probably be starting this project later in the week, so will take some pictures then.

The build has started... here are some pics

The garage before the build

The turtle pond

The build...

The first panel is in...

More to come this week, and probably the coming weeks...

Hi,

So far, so good? The idea of having a fish house is a fairly common one; however, turning that idea into reality tends to be all too rare. I'll be keeping track of your progress and look forward to any updates!

Cheers,

Luke.

A quick update:

I have almost finished the walls, just one wall left now, and the edging around the window. Started to build the wall, its coming together really well.

These things are always more expensive than you think arent they :D but hey Ive never done anything like this before so its great.

Worse issues I've had are the uneven floor and the not to flat back wall, but its all remedied, and I've also bought some self leveling concrete from Wickes which can be laid up to 50mm deep, which is great, once the walls are up its time to clean the floor and lay the concrete, then I have to wait for a week for it to full set.

I need to do the ceiling and make a small door to get into the loft space, but once thats all done its onto painting the floor and the walls.

A few more weeks I think and it'll be finished.

I'll get some progress photos up tonight if I get chance.

Most reactions

Back