G.gouramie Babies New Pics.

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

P.S:Are the pics too big? Only the ones I put up of my bettas were apparently enormous. :*)

For my old eyes, yes they were. But I got to see the fry anyway, just had to search for them. Very cute!

Congrats, Mama! It's lovely. What kind of gouramis?

Someone was saying that they had bred some species of gourami (not Betta) and the female had been killed by the male. Do honeys or sparklers kill their mates?

I'm so happy for you. They must be very happy fish, :D

They're golden gouramies or Trichogaster trichopterus if you prefer the scientific name. They're a three spot variant basically. Got some bickering going on in the tank this morning. The big male is a little grumpy today. Must have male pmt. :rolleyes: I think the younger two females are beginning to show interest in all the activity but still not yet carrying eggs, so he's getting frustrated. Bless. They do appear to be teasing him somewhat, poor fella. Except Queenie, who's gone into hiding to avoid the trouble. I shall adjust the pic sizes this morning and put them in the first post.
Sue, it isn't through anything I've purposely done. The plants just went mental by themselves in that tank and it worked out well. I did move out three of my synos because the big male started picking on them. And anyone will tell you synos are not small or easily bullied. They have a very varied diet with plenty of live food. I have heard plenty about others saying the female is often killed by the male, mostly in the betta section but even with gouramies. Mine all live in their tank together peacefully. If it changes at any point I will move someone out. I am fortunate enough to have plenty of other tanks to hand and the large fry tank will easily accomodate gouramies or bigger fish if need be. I'd rather not of course.
Going to try and move some more of the fry today as the tank needs a clean and the plants a prune. Best done while there's no eggs around because the big male attacks me when he has eggs in his nest. :X :lol:
Hugs,
P.

Cute fry :wub: The 3rd picture is incredible. Very nice female as well :thumbs:

edit: Since when is 'cute' spelled 'cyte'?!!

Very nice fry, congratulations! I know you said they were unplanned, but did you do anything to start the spawning progress, eg; temperature change, feeding etc? I have only ever breeded livebearers but am going to breed some Dwarf Gouramis hopefully in the near future. :)

No. I didn't do anything. I mean, their tank was always mostly about them to be honest with you. Just because I love them. I let the plants go mental, which may look a little untidy but it's what they like. I did have some baby synos in there but as the biggest male grew up and became 'active' he started trying to take chunks out of them so they got moved out. All but one. They don't mind the bristlenose girl so she'll be getting a partner soon. :thumbs: It's a 35g long they live in with some self bult slate caves, one piece of bogwood and tonnes of live plants. Because of the vast quantity of plants I also have two filter running. One at either end. The water simply does not flow the length of the tank so this stops any dead water patches happening, hopefully!
The gouramies I got to start with I was told were a ratio of 1 male to 3 female. Turned out not to be the case. Had two males. The big obvious male and a far more laid back male with less developed finnage. Sadly one of the females developed a kink in her spine (pos tb but since she's still alive and well elsewhere in the house still not sure) she had to come out, leaving one female. :crazy: She's the mother of the fry. And she's a big egg producer. She recently spawned again with the big male and I had to take her out a few days ago to give her some rest. Poor thing looks exhausted. I recently introduced two younger girls to the tank but I am almost certain one of them is male too. *doh* So he will have to be changed for a female. Pity since his coloured up utterly beautiful. He's blue with a yellow tinger on his lower finnage. I shall be sorry to part with him. But he does seem to be a fry eater so it's probably for the best. :sad:
Am sure I've said elsewhere in the thread about what I feed them. They have flake food most days along with live food (bloodworm, brineshrimp or daphnia, although less daphnia then the others) The also get frozen food including the above and krill. I also use cat fish pellets and plec food in the tank so there is a great deal for them to pick from. And the very small amount of algea that grows too. Now they get baby food in there too! :lol: Still got so many I need to move to the fry tank it's mad. But the laid back male tends to them like they're all his own and protects them from harm. He really is the sweetest thing ever. :wub:
If you want to breed then like with many egg layers, give them what they want. Gouramies needs are easy. They love space of their own and lots of plants. Like an underwater jungle. I never treated them differently when they spawned, or are spawning. I never stop feeding them. If anything I make sure they all have some each so no one's missing out. With the exception of the new 'male' none of them eat the fry, ever. I haven't changed the temp, ph, lighting, feeding habits. Nothing. I think they just feel happy enough and secure enough to treat it as their home. It's not in a particularly quiet place (The tank) being next to the living room tv and my computer is opposite them. So I can turn around and watch them anytime. They don't mind the noise, they recognise me as feeder and mad person who does odd things sometimes. And I believe there is a level of respect involved. They know I'm not there to hurt them, even when I do water changes or spend forever picking out snails. Does take some time and patience to get that with any fish, as I'm sure you know.
I'm no expert. There are many people on this site who know alot more then I do. I've just been fortunate enough to have gotten it right and the gouramies must trust me enough.
I wish the best of luck of course and wanna see pics! :D If you get really lucky they may even spawn in the afternoons like mine usually do. I have front seat viewing for that and it's wonderful to see.
Hugs,
P.

Doing a cleanout today I watched the fry of now varying ages since we've had more then a few spawns and the oldest of them are just beginning to develop some colouration and are breathing air! :hyper: I watched them for a good half an hour and they were definitely coming up to the surface for a breath before disappearing into the plants again. Moved a few more out of the adults tank and into the fry tank but they are incredibly difficult to catch. The small internal filter had gotten icky inside too so had to give it a good clean. Is working at 100% again now. Am hoping this doesn't upset them too much as the outflow is quite strong. I have it aimed at a slate rock as I always have, which the new male b.n seems to like. I see him way more then the female.
I haven't lowered the water level in either the fry tank of the main tank and since they seem to managing just fine I shan't either. Feeding is becoming increasingly difficult as some need very early food while others are moving onto older food. I find it very hard not to use too much but don't want to underfeed either. At least in the fry tank I can see better and judge better what they do and don't need but trial and error. Especially now they have no adults with them.
One thing I have noticed is the two male gouramies are not so tolerant of the older fry despite them still being very small. And they will snatch at them if they wander into the wrong areas. I suspect many will end up getting caught as the adult gouramies have a better chance of catching them then I do! At least I have a great many in the fry tank already. :thumbs:
Hugs,
P.

I had a male gold for a while..... Cool!

Latest news on babes. :wub: Am trying for some pics tomorrow of the older fry. You can now clearly see their fins and their feelers, although they don't appear to be using them like the adults do. They are still quite short. Interestingly they all have identically shaped dorsal fins at present. Nothing like how they turn out. The biggest are around an inch at most now. So pretty fast growing. Far more inquisitive now and many take notice in what I am doing outside the tank. Being that they live in my kitchen next door to Ollie they see a fair bit of people during the day and have gotten used to plenty of noise when kids are around. They are eating alot more now but judging how much to give them is still hit and miss.
Anyways, I'll try and aim for some pics tomorrow to show the difference in them since those first ones. :)
Hugs,
P.

Grrrr soz, been a delay on new pics. Stupid pics won't transfer. Will try again tomorrow. :grr:
The oldest are about a month now Sylvia. Very inquisitive and getting bolder, but still pretty skittish, which I would expect of fry at this age. And this size! The biggest have darkened a little down the spines but colouration is still practically non-existent. Funny really when liveborn fry can have colours almost immediately. Certainly the reds that were born showed orange from day 1! But then they start out alot bigger. So saying they don't grow any faster then the gourami fry. If anything I'd say the gouramies are growing quicker. But then they have further to go size wise. I've yet to see an adult platie the size of an adult 3 spot! :lol:
Hugs,
P.
P.S:Have some poor quality vid footage of the fry so hopefully will add that once I get it going. :rolleyes:

Latest news....
The oldest fry have developed their spots! :D Have been fed their first taste of fresh giant prawn. A very popular treat with my bettas although the adult gourami show little interest. Trying to wean them away from complete dependancy on the baby foods and it's prooving quite tough.
They are growing a rate of knots now and am beginning to think the filter in the tank will not be sufficient to cope with them as they continue to grow so will shortly be picking up a second internal for their tank. I shall seed it from my other filters in the house. :) They are prooving to be quite messy little beggars now too.
Some are showing a slight difference in the dorsal fin shape, despite being small still. Some are noticeably rounder and others show signs of being pointed and obviously male.
The adults are all doing well and the younger girls are now mature enough to be showing signs off rounding with eggs. Blue, my smallest girl and very pretty has a noticeably round tum currently and her spots, normally hardly visible have become very apparent in the past few days. BB is more keen on her then normal and the only girl he never chases off when she gets too close. It really is love he's feeling. :wub: :lol: Even when she refuses his attention he doesn't become aggressive as he does to the others. He really does seem to like her company.
Hugs,
P.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back