Fx5 Or 2 Xp4's

Spiceweasel69

Fish Crazy
Joined
Jan 30, 2006
Messages
391
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Portsmouth UK
Hi

Fairly simple chaps and chapesses. Filtering a 600 litre tank. I usually run 2 filters, one near to bottom of tank and the other as a dedicated undergravel filter, to ensure no nasties build up. Would 2 xp4's be overkilll for a heavily planted 2 metre tank, or should i opt for a fluval fx5 (or other suggestions).
Not going for particularly messy fish, but do want a high rate of filtration.
 
Dont think you can really overkill on filtration, with two filters, you always have the back up if one fails, and you can always turn the flow rate down.
 
But 2 fx5's would be overkill i would think. I need a quiet filter too, i dont want the constant hummmmmmm........
 
Sorry I wasnt recommending 2 FX5's, just saying that two XP4's would be ok if that was the route you wanted to go down.

I thought the FX5's were pretty quiet arent they nelly?
 
anibigspider.gif
 
mines silent,,,sometimes i have to double check its still running :blink:
1 fx5 should do fine :good:
i here more noise from the spiders running across the floor than from the fx5
sorry to but in ,but what make is the fx5 and would it be ok for a 175 lts tank.
and best place to buy it from.


cheers eric
 
For the 150 gallon tank, I would think that 2 XP4s would be overkill. I have a single XP3 on a 120 gallon and it is doing fine. If you are looking for a pair of filters to get redundancy, I would suggest a pair of XP3s.
 
mines silent,,,sometimes i have to double check its still running :blink:
1 fx5 should do fine :good:
i here more noise from the spiders running across the floor than from the fx5
sorry to but in ,but what make is the fx5 and would it be ok for a 175 lts tank.
and best place to buy it from.


cheers eric

Hey Eric, the fx5 is made by Fluval and would be way to big IMO for a 175 litres, the Fluval 305 or a tetratec ex700 should be enough (if you want extra filtration, the 405 or ex 1200).
 
Aye, FX5 is Fluvals flag ship model. The first round are just comming out of their warrenty period. I predict a lot of "help, my Fluval FX5's bust" threads comming through the Hardware section soon, as Fluvals rarely make it too far past the 3 year warrenty period :shifty: Of caurse, I could just be a bit pesimistic and scepticl of the Fluval brand after being electric shocked by my 404 and my mates 405 washed his carpet for him with old tank water... The FX5 is supposed to be Fluvals best yet, but the Fluval fan boys said that about the 04 and 05 range also... :/

OP, if it were me, I'd get two XP3's as Oldman surgests, or in Nitro7's case, the Tetratec ;) This is maily because I no longer trust Fluvals on my tranks. On larger set-up's you could be trusting more £'s worth of live stock to the filter, than you are saving by buying Fluval over a better brand. This assumes you only see monetary value in your fish. If you are like me, you end up loosing a members of the family if the filter packs up and the tank nukes :sad:

If you do get the Rena's keep spare seals in stock. They have a habit of seaping a little after a few cleans IME, but they are otherwise reliable filters. I have never had a catestrophic failure from one :good:

All the best
Rabbut
 

Most reactions

Back
Top