Funny Clown Loach, Return?

It might be what I'm feeding him but this behavior kind of makes me think he's not happy and makes me want to return him or sell him to a better owner. I'll be sad to see him go. :/

Dont keep kuhlis in a small group, same goes for nearly every loach, minimum 6. Having bred Clown Loaches, you should know more than anyone how they behave, dont cha think? I'm gobsmacked you only have one. poor thing.

I've decided to return my clown tomorrow. (not today it's my birthday! ) hopefully all my family members send me either money or gift cards to my LFS we all live in the same general area.

Welcome to the fish tank in the sky. :R.I.P: :sad:
Poor tiger.

I think it was what I was feeding. I was really only feeding vegetables. I'd throw in some blood worms occasionally maybe 1 every 2 weeks but oh well I can still return him my LFS has a 30 day warranty

I'm confused. If you've bred clowns before how did you not know what to feed? Surely they won't take the fish back if its your fault. I think there is more to a fish, any fish, than money, you'd have some neck on you if you took it back.

Its a life, not money.

He's dead? What happened?

Who has bred clown loach?
mrp3 claimed to have bred them in the past on one of his much earlier beginner threads when we told him that it was too large for his tank.

I'm confused. If you've bred clowns before how did you not know what to feed? Surely they won't take the fish back if its your fault. I think there is more to a fish, any fish, than money, you'd have some neck on you if you took it back.

Its a life, not money.
When I read up on them, it said nobody has ever bred clown loaches in captivity without some sort of genetic transplant something. I dunno. I'm not a scientist.

I heard that too. I have also heard that in most cases hormones are required.
It all sounds a lot like something no average household aquarist could do. Or would want to do. Sounds like a pretty stressful if not painful process used to make more money.

They breed themselves actually lol

Three track mind : Hungry, Frisky, Preggo

You sure your not talking about guppies? :lol: .

Some species of loach have been bred in private aquaria BUT most times it has been by pure chance rather than careful planning and observing all the water parameters and fishes habits. And yes a lot of the commercial breeding of loaches does require conditioning the fish and then either hand striping the milt and roe or adding hormones to get them to drop it. Either way not a pleasant experience for the fish.

When the OP said the loach was playing dead for a couple of days, I hate to say alarm bells rang in my mind (I only read the thread lastnight, hence no prior input) and I hate to say it but it sounds as though the loach was on its last legs (so to speak) from the very first post. I have not kept clown loaches (always guessed they where too big for my tanks and I have always heard horror stories about them getting Ich), but the loaches friends of mine have had in the past where always active and inquisitive about their tank and other surroundings, not playing dead or swimming in odd ways. I am sorry the loach died, but in the long run maybe it was for the best. My Pakastani loaches (yo-yo loaches) are great value for money active, inquisitve and almost always busy around the tank, they even get along well with my guppies although I do have the suspicion that the loaches eat some of the guppy fry which in the tank they are in is a good thing, but it highlights the fact I can't really trust them in my breeding tank. I also wouldn't put it past the Pakastani loaches to scoff small shrimp like cherry, glass or crystal. My Khuli loaches that are now in a pack of 8 with a few more to be added soon are great little guys and gals. Yes they will hide under things and burrow into the substrate but if they have subdued lighting, a good sized group and a nice section of live plants you will see them out and about more often then not, and the big bonus for me is these guys can be trusted with small shrimp.

Funny that in some places the black khuli is the most common, in my area its the striped that you can always get but rarely the black.

Clown loaches to play dead though. I had one at one point in time (mistake on my part, had him for a month in a 40g tank, then rehomed him when I found out this was not suitable.) But he freaked me out one morning, I woke up and he was laying on his back at the bottom of the tank! I did a water change and he sprang back into action.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back