Fungus, Ick or something else??

@Colin_T thank you for the detailed information. Sorry for the delay, I was at work.
1. I have had the fish since it was a fry. It was not born in the tank but was so small when I got it I had to put it in a breeder cup so he wouldnā€™t get eaten. He was a she and turned male later than normal. He also has had a blue eye since he was a fry. Nothing new in the past 2 weeks. I did add a new female black molly & orange platy about 3 weeks ago.
2. I donā€™t have anything that measures the GH but I do know I have hard water.
3. In my tank I have 3 black mollies, 3 adult platy, 1 teenage platy & 1 fry. I have 4 tetra & 1 dwarf gourami. I also have some live plants & 5 nerite Snails.

I will do the 75% water change & replace the filter since it is due for a change. I always vacuum when I do a water change. I replace the filter about once a month or 6 weeks. I just have an over the tank filter.
I assume I should do the lower salt amount since I have tetras, gourami, snails & plants, correct?
Also, just to clarify, I only add the salt once & let it sit for the 2 weeks, correct?
Thanks!
I did take a video but donā€™t know how to attach it. I can email somewhere.

@Colin_T thank you for the detailed information. Sorry for the delay, I was at work.
1. I have had the fish since it was a fry. It was not born in the tank but was so small when I got it I had to put it in a breeder cup so he wouldnā€™t get eaten. He was a she and turned male later than normal. He also has had a blue eye since he was a fry. Nothing new in the past 2 weeks. I did add a new female black molly & orange platy about 3 weeks ago.
2. I donā€™t have anything that measures the GH but I do know I have hard water.
3. In my tank I have 3 black mollies, 3 adult platy, 1 teenage platy & 1 fry. I have 4 tetra & 1 dwarf gourami. I also have some live plants & 5 nerite Snails.

I will do the 75% water change & replace the filter since it is due for a change. I always vacuum when I do a water change. I replace the filter about once a month or 6 weeks. I just have an over the tank filter.
I assume I should do the lower salt amount since I have tetras, gourami, snails & plants, correct?
Also, just to clarify, I only add the salt once & let it sit for the 2 weeks, correct?
Thanks!
Download the video to YouTube and put the link here

Thanks!

The GH (general hardness), KH (carbonate hardness) and pH of your water can usually be obtained from your water supply company's website or by telephoning them. If they can't help you, take a glass full of tap water to the local pet shop and get them to test it for you. Write the results down (in numbers) when they do the tests. And ask them what the results are in (eg: ppm, dGH, or something else).

------------------
Young mollies all look female until they mature, then the male's anal fin changes into a gonopodium.

------------------
Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate today and each week.
Add 2 heaped tablespoons of salt for every 20 litres (5 gallons) of tank water.
Keep the salt in there for 2 weeks.
When you do a water change next week, add salt to the new water before adding it to the tank.

If there's no improvement after a week with salt, post more pics.

-------------------
Do not change the filter media/ materials. If you replce the media you get rid of the beneficial filter bacteria that help keep the water clean.

Filter media should be squeezed out in a bucket of tank water every 2-4 weeks and then re-used. The bucket of dirty water can be poured on the garden/ lawn.

Re-use the media until it starts to fall apart.

If you have carbon or an ammonia remover in the filter media, get rid of that and put a sponge in the filter to replace it. Sponges will last 10+ years and don't need replacing until they fall apart.

Thank you for all the information. I think I have it! One last question, I do have the carbon. Do I put a sponge directly into the filter or in the white pouch that holds the carbon. I donā€™t always fill the white pouch with carbon, sometimes just put the white pouch in no carbon. Speaking of that, the white pouch gets VERY dirty. I usually do as you recommend & rinse out the pouch in the extracted fish water but it is still dirty. Thanks

Thank you for all the information. I think I have it! One last question, I do have the carbon. Do I put a sponge directly into the filter or in the white pouch that holds the carbon. I donā€™t always fill the white pouch with carbon, sometimes just put the white pouch in no carbon. Speaking of that, the white pouch gets VERY dirty. I usually do as you recommend & rinse out the pouch in the extracted fish water but it is still dirty. Thanks
Sorry, 1 more question, is it Tablespoon or teaspoons of the salt? I have a 36gal tank & 7 tablespoons seems like a lot.

Sorry, 1 more question, is it Tablespoon or teaspoons of the salt? I have a 36gal tank & 7 tablespoons seems like a lot.
@Colin_T this is super weird but the fish looks totally fine today???? I have enclosed a picture. No spots or bumps on his tail. I donā€™t understand.

Attachments

• 714AC963-7E22-416D-9E8D-0424ECF0781B.jpeg
    714AC963-7E22-416D-9E8D-0424ECF0781B.jpeg
    27.7 KB · Views: 76
  • 9142A31A-69D8-4BC6-9D45-FAC4B7418489.jpeg
    9142A31A-69D8-4BC6-9D45-FAC4B7418489.jpeg
    15.6 KB · Views: 67
  • 277944B2-6E5C-4888-A5FC-11D6F186E9CE.jpeg
    277944B2-6E5C-4888-A5FC-11D6F186E9CE.jpeg
    55.9 KB · Views: 70
tablespoon, the bigger spoon.

you don't need carbon in an aquarium filter unless you are trying to remove chemicals.

sponges just go in the filter anywhere they fit.

I would still add salt for a couple of weeks just to be on the safe side. fish don't develop excess mucous and weird white lumps for no reason.

Thank you for all the information!! I donā€™t think it is shimmies, I have had fish with this & does not exhibit the symptoms. I know I have very hard water, but I need to call my water company for the actuals.

This is what I found on water hardness... we have 148 ppm. The website says 130 to 150 mg/L of calcium carbonate, or 7.6 to 8.8 grains per gallon.
Does that help??

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back