Funfair goldfish

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Do you know why they wonā€™t reproduce (not that I want them to) just curious
Hopefully somebody who understand their lifecycle better than me will be along to explain better :)
AFAIK the larvae require salt water while the adults cannot tolerate salt. So it won't happen by accident and if you want to breed them its not a trivial thing to do.

Amano females will carry eggs under her abdomen, but unlike other shrimps species, the eggs hatch into a planktonic larval stage. As seangee says, these larvae need salt water to develop, so they die in our tanks. They are so small we don't see them, and fish in the tank no doubt eat them.

Other shrimp species hatch into miniature adults which do not need salt water, so provided there are enough hiding places for the shrimplets to avoid being eaten, you will get more shrimps than you bought.

Amano females will carry eggs under her abdomen, but unlike other shrimps species, the eggs hatch into a planktonic larval stage. As seangee says, these larvae need salt water to develop, so they die in our tanks. They are so small we don't see them, and fish in the tank no doubt eat them.

Other shrimp species hatch into miniature adults which do not need salt water, so provided there are enough hiding places for the shrimplets to avoid being eaten, you will get more shrimps than you bought.
Ah thank you I never intended to breed them so thatā€™s good to know I wouldnā€™t want to be over run with them, Iā€™ve no doubt that if anything did reproduce the gold fish would eat it in a flash, although Iā€™ve moved them shrimp into a separate tank for the time being and they are much happier and have been out all morning where as Iā€™d hardly ever see them when they were in with the gold fish :)

So I guess my next question would be, if I did eventually get a betta, after cycling a new larger tank for the gold fish to move into, would you guys completely disinfect the 25l tank and get a new filter and start again before getting the betta or would you warm the water and keep it the way it is now?
Thanks in advance

I would do a 90% water change and vacuum the gravel. Then refill and get my betta. That way you still have your beneficial bacteria and wonā€™t have to start a new cycle.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back