Fun Facts We Didn't Need To Know

Trying to stay on topic here, there's a new rule, I've heard

IANAM but it is fun, and a fact. But we may need to know, so there is that :)
I Am Not A Moderator but it is fun, and a fact. But we may need to know, so there is that

Referencing the Thread Title: Fun Facts We Didn't Need to Know

AND, I remain confused about the rest of the post

@Oblio is a deep thinker, being an engineer and all, so sometimes we have to be ones, as well*

*Especially after a few after-work libations at home...yeah, good luck with that
We CAN be obtuse, but we design cool stuff.
It's all that cipherin' we did in college that damaged our comunikatin' brain cells, yeah, that's my story :rofl:

We CAN be obtuse, but we design cool stuff.
It's all that cipherin' we did in college that damaged our comunikatin' brain cells, yeah, that's my story :rofl:
Heck, I didn't even search the right acronym....TGIF!....everybody should know THAT one...

Many Oranges are actually green. A ripe orange should be green however because the oranges grown in Florida are exposed to colder weather than most tropical oranges they lose the chlorophyll and turn orange instead of green. Because Americans believe that oranges should be orange many tropical oranges that are picked ripe and are green are exposed to ethylene gas or shocked with cold water in order to kill the chlorophyll in their skins and turn them orange.

Many Oranges are actually green. A ripe orange should be green however because the oranges grown in Florida are exposed to colder weather than most tropical oranges they lose the chlorophyll and turn orange instead of green. Because Americans believe that oranges should be orange many tropical oranges that are picked ripe and are green are exposed to ethylene gas or shocked with cold water in order to kill the chlorophyll in their skins and turn them orange.
Oddly it is hard to find really good oranges in north east Florida in a grocery store. The growers make more profit exporting so, in Florida, you tend to get the scraps. I lived in Jacksonville Beach Florida for 16 years and the oranges tended to be bitter and hard to peel. May be different in different Florida areas but on that I can't comment from experience.

Iit is hard to find really good oranges in north east Florida in a grocery store. The growers make more profit exporting so, in Florida, you tend to get the scraps. I lived in Jacksonville Beach Florida for 16 years and the oranges tended to be bitter and hard to peel. May be different in different Florida areas but on that I can't comment from experience.
TBH I don't particularly like oranges, at least the orange varieties. I find them very hard to peel as well. It's also very hard to find a good orange they either are powdery or bitter. I wouldn't mind trying a green orange and seeing if they're different, however I've never seen a green orange in a grocery store or fruit market or Farmers market in Illinois. I haven't traveled much other than to Florida so maybe if I am ever able to get out of the USA I may see a green orange and comment on the difference.

Another bit of useless but interesting information...when you snap your fingers the sound you hear is actually your middle finger slapping against the meaty part of your palm; by your thumb.

Another bit of useless but interesting information...when you snap your fingers the sound you hear is actually your middle finger slapping against the meaty part of your palm; by your thumb.
Oh wow! I never noticed until now! Very interesting... I snap all the time

Wait... No... I disagree... That is impossible and I know it for a fact

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back