For Those Who Use AquaClear HOB Filters

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I know the aquaclear is supposed to be highly rated. In fact all my aquariums have used Aquaclears. After using them for a few year I find them to be a HUGE pain in the neck.

1, If you have floating plants, half will end up being sucked up by the fillter.
2. Good luck in getting that funny little piece in the back to hold in place on some of the filers. I've had filters of all sizea and sometimes the piece is wide enough stay in place, other times you'll be chasing it all over the floor (including under all furniture.
After about 6 months they all seem to settle in. But what a STUPID idea to tilt the filte
3. It become more and more difficult to get that tube in place over the impleller and have it push down short enough to allow the lid to go on the filter. I spend HOURS a week trying to get these things settled into their "sweet spot" otherwise I do the best I can and set a rock on the lid which looks pretty stupid;
4. The parts warp something awful (except for the media basket) All my fitlers used to be perfectly square, now they have warped and are no longer square, this makes the U-tupe difficult to impossible to get in place and if it's not in place the lid won't go on (use a rock). Also not to help matters the lid warps like crazy.

I absolutely have come to HATE this filter = but everything I've read about the ones out there are even worse. How hard can this be for a smart engineering student to solve (hey how about not using hard plastic)
I'm getting my 90 gallon tank set up for my four DoJo's - 8-15" long and some as big around a a quarter. I realized I'd have to go to a canister because not even the biggest auquclear will keep the tank clean even if I clean it EVERY OTHER DAY. They are large fish and excrete large amounts of poop and love to rearrange the tank to their liking (each day). I'm hoping that between having a 90 gallon tank AND using a canister filter that I will finally have a tank that stays clean for more thant 2-3 days. If a canoster filter fails to keep a clean tank I'm ready to throw in the towel -I'm sick of having dirty water if the fish happen to be fairly active (my sedate fish tanks will stay sparkling clean no matter what I do or how badly the Aquaclear is performing)

I know the aquaclear is supposed to be highly rated. In fact all my aquariums have used Aquaclears. After using them for a few year I find them to be a HUGE pain in the neck.

1, If you have floating plants, half will end up being sucked up by the fillter.
2. Good luck in getting that funny little piece in the back to hold in place on some of the filers. I've had filters of all sizea and sometimes the piece is wide enough stay in place, other times you'll be chasing it all over the floor (including under all furniture.
After about 6 months they all seem to settle in. But what a STUPID idea to tilt the filte
3. It become more and more difficult to get that tube in place over the impleller and have it push down short enough to allow the lid to go on the filter. I spend HOURS a week trying to get these things settled into their "sweet spot" otherwise I do the best I can and set a rock on the lid which looks pretty stupid;
4. The parts warp something awful (except for the media basket) All my fitlers used to be perfectly square, now they have warped and are no longer square, this makes the U-tupe difficult to impossible to get in place and if it's not in place the lid won't go on (use a rock). Also not to help matters the lid warps like crazy.

I absolutely have come to HATE this filter = but everything I've read about the ones out there are even worse. How hard can this be for a smart engineering student to solve (hey how about not using hard plastic)
I'm getting my 90 gallon tank set up for my four DoJo's - 8-15" long and some as big around a a quarter. I realized I'd have to go to a canister because not even the biggest auquclear will keep the tank clean even if I clean it EVERY OTHER DAY. They are large fish and excrete large amounts of poop and love to rearrange the tank to their liking (each day). I'm hoping that between having a 90 gallon tank AND using a canister filter that I will finally have a tank that stays clean for more thant 2-3 days. If a canoster filter fails to keep a clean tank I'm ready to throw in the towel -I'm sick of having dirty water if the fish happen to be fairly active (my sedate fish tanks will stay sparkling clean no matter what I do or how badly the Aquaclear is performing)
I agree, I hate those filters. On top of what you've already outlined if the outlet somehow gets clogged the water will just push the lid off and pour down the back of your tank. Piece of crap

Nice little thread to help those keepers with these types of filters, lots of nice tips and idea that I have used myself as well over the years.

Have to say I am bit of a fan of the Aquaclear HOB filters as well as the Fluval HOB filters as well.

But the Aquaclear HOB I used is fairly old and believe they were made at a time when these filters were built sturdier and better quality parts imho until Hagen took over and more likely than not reduced the quality out of the parts due to costs and profit margins.

A shame really as they were actually really good HOB for the money at the time.

I’ve not bought a new Aquarclear HOB for a long time now as it’s hard to get those in UK now but did get a Marina HOB a couple of years ago and that is pretty good too, much more simpler though and the media housing is easily accessible and can be changeable for whatever media you want. They did have cartridges media that was supposed to slot in the media housing but I chucked those cartridges away brand new as I knew they’d be next to useless and stuffed in ceramic media and sponge media with filter floss on top, sparkling clean water in tank tbh. Pretty

Also Eheim filters have gone the same way as some Hagen products, good sturdy quality years ago and now find the quality has gone down somewhat and I no longer will buy a large Eheim external filter as quite pricey for what they are compared to other brands.

Anyhow, keep those neat little tricks and tips coming, more useful than you think ;)

The AquaClear brand switched all its packaging to say “Fluval AquaClear” right? I went To Petsmart to buy some filter sponges because on the online price they had the the 3 pack of AquaClear 50 sponges for $1.70, in store they were $5.70. They will honor their online price, so I asked for the online price, the lady was all like ”it has to be the actual item, these aren’t the same” and I was like “ahah yes they are. The packaging changed a while ago” and she looked at me all skeptical but still gave me the price. Am I crazy?

Nice little thread to help those keepers with these types of filters, lots of nice tips and idea that I have used myself as well over the years.

Have to say I am bit of a fan of the Aquaclear HOB filters as well as the Fluval HOB filters as well.

But the Aquaclear HOB I used is fairly old and believe they were made at a time when these filters were built sturdier and better quality parts imho until Hagen took over and more likely than not reduced the quality out of the parts due to costs and profit margins.

A shame really as they were actually really good HOB for the money at the time.

I’ve not bought a new Aquarclear HOB for a long time now as it’s hard to get those in UK now but did get a Marina HOB a couple of years ago and that is pretty good too, much more simpler though and the media housing is easily accessible and can be changeable for whatever media you want. They did have cartridges media that was supposed to slot in the media housing but I chucked those cartridges away brand new as I knew they’d be next to useless and stuffed in ceramic media and sponge media with filter floss on top, sparkling clean water in tank tbh. Pretty

Also Eheim filters have gone the same way as some Hagen products, good sturdy quality years ago and now find the quality has gone down somewhat and I no longer will buy a large Eheim external filter as quite pricey for what they are compared to other brands.

Anyhow, keep those neat little tricks and tips coming, more useful than you think ;)
Happy to oblige, thanks for reading :)

The AquaClear brand switched all its packaging to say “Fluval AquaClear” right? I went To Petsmart to buy some filter sponges because on the online price they had the the 3 pack of AquaClear 50 sponges for $1.70, in store they were $5.70. They will honor their online price, so I asked for the online price, the lady was all like ”it has to be the actual item, these aren’t the same” and I was like “ahah yes they are. The packaging changed a while ago” and she looked at me all skeptical but still gave me the price. Am I crazy?
Yes they did, and no, you are not crazy ;)

I agree, I hate those filters. On top of what you've already outlined if the outlet somehow gets clogged the water will just push the lid off and pour down the back of your tank. Piece of crap
I fail to understand how the outlet "somehow gets clogged"....filthy sponge, perhaps?

One of the many reasons I stopped using the sponge in these filters, years ago

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back