The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Slaphppy7

Mod-o-holic
Staff member
Global Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
I've written a few articles/DIY pieces on the AC HOB filters in another forum, and would like to share a few tips/tricks in this thread. Some are bit lengthy, apologies in advance, but tried to be as thorough as possible.

I'm a fan of these little filters, currently have 6 in use, and have never had an issue with them. I really like the fact that they are highly customizable, as far as the media compartment is concerned, you can use pretty much whatever media you wish, and the simple design makes them very easy to maintain and clean.

Speaking of cleaning, we'll start with that one first:

Fill a clean bowl with old tank water, enough to submerge all of your media/sponge. Turn off the filter, and place the media/sponge into the bowl of water. Leave it there until you are done cleaning the filter, and it has been refilled with tank or treated water.

Remove the P/U tube from the filter housing. Use an old toothbrush and hot tap water to clean all sections of the P/U tube. Shove the toothbrush down into the tubes, and swirl around in the ribbed area to get it really clean.

The "u-tube" section can be cleaned with a simple homemade DIY tool, that I will explain in the next post.

Carry the filter to your sink, empty the remaining water.

Remove the motor from the filter housing. While holding the filter with it's backside pointed toward you, twist the motor to the right 1/4 turn, it will be released from the filter housing. Set the motor/impeller assembly aside.

Remove the dark grey impeller cover, it lifts straight out of the filter. Use your toothbrush to give it a good scrubbing, then set aside.

Use a clean nylon dish brush (like one of these:https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00004OCIZ...a-164218701412 ) to scrub the inside and outside of the filter housing, in hot tap water. Set aside.

Use that brush to clean your filter basket, too.

Clean the motor and impeller: remove the impeller from the motor housing, it is held in there magnetically. You may need tweezers to pull out the impeller, when they get dirty, they get slimy and hard to grip with your fingers....the impeller lifts straight out of the motor. Clean the impeller thoroughly with your toothbrush. Run a wet pipe cleaner through the hole in the impeller. Set the impeller aside.

Run piping hot water into the motor housing, dump it out, run more water, dump again. Fill the motor with hot water, then use a Qtip to thoroughly clean the inside of the motor, as well as the impeller shaft...use a couple of Qtips for this, rinsing in between cleanings.

With a clean Qtip, apply a very thin layer of Vaseline to the black rubber "O ring" that is on the neck of the motor. This will help preserve the rubber, and make a nice seal at the filter housing. Apply a very small dab of Vaseline to the impeller shaft as well. Replace the impeller into the motor.

Re-attach the motor to the filter housing: holding the backside of the housing toward you, the motor at a 90 degree angle to your right...it will twist into the housing just as it twisted out of it, but twist to the left this time.

Be sure the motor and housing only touch at the "neck" of the motor, if the base of the motor touches the housing, you'll get vibration, and a noisy filter.

Replace the dark grey impeller cover, it slides straight down into the housing. Replace the media basket.

Carry the filter back to the tank, and replace. Replace the intake tube, and set at the high flow setting (far left)

Fill the filter with old or new treated tank water. Swish your media/sponge around in the bowl to clean it. Replace into the filled filter, plug in, and you're done.

It will take a few moments for the filter to work out all of the air in the P/U tube, just let it go.

Once the filter is flowing at full force, and all of the air is out of the system, you can turn the flow back down to wherever you choose by twisting the P/U tube slightly to the right.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Simple DIY U-tube cleaner

One part of these filters I have found difficult to clean is the U-shaped part of the uptake tube, so I came up with this simple, cheap, easy-to-make cleaning brush:

Simple and cheap to make. I don't use the sponges that come with the Aquaclears, so I have plenty of sponge material. I cut out a piece with scissors, and use a tie-wrap to cinch the sponge....just insert the tie wrap end into it's own head, insert the sponge into the loop, and pull it tight.

Then all you have to do is fill the u-tube with hot clean water, and use the tie-wrap to push the sponge through the bends in the u-tube...works like a charm...insert from both ends of the u-tube to clean from two different directions...you can even twirl the tie-wrap/sponge within the u-tube to clean stubborn spots.

I make two different sizes, one for the tubes in my AC20 and AC30's, and one for my AC 70's...the larger one uses a 15" tie wrap, the smaller uses about one half that size.

Old toothbrush works great to clean the straight tubes of the smaller filters, but not very well with the larger straight tubes...my DIY brushes handle the larger straight pieces just fine.

The sponge will eventually wear out and start to come apart...when that happens, I just make a new one...cheap and easy
Utube 1.jpg

Attachments

• Utube 2.jpg
    Utube 2.jpg
    201.6 KB · Views: 81
  • Utube 3.jpg
    Utube 3.jpg
    207.4 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
Very very very helpful!!! I never could figure out how to separate the motor from the filter housing. THANK YOU

Media Basket Repair

Well, the inevitable finally happened, the media basket in my oldest AC30 finally came apart.

The "hinged" parts of the baskets always have made me wonder how long they would take to fail, it's really just a thinner piece of plastic than the rest of the basket

This one took about 4 years, with constant use, before it failed on one side.

I was ready to add a new one to an upcoming Amazon order, but then wondered if I could save a little $ and fix it myself

Here's what I came up with...drilled 3 holes in the side piece, and made a new "hinge" with small zip-ties

Cinched the zip ties, keeping the "locking" end of the zip-tie within the interior of the basket, so that the basket had no extra obstruction on the outside to prevent it from fitting into the filter housing...then, clipped off the excess zip-tie.

This is an AC30 basket, for larger ones, I would do more than 3 zip-ties, but so far, it has worked great.

Attachments

• MB 1.jpg
    MB 1.jpg
    280.8 KB · Views: 78
  • MB 2.jpg
    MB 2.jpg
    180.6 KB · Views: 78
  • MB 3.jpg
    MB 3.jpg
    208.1 KB · Views: 94
  • MB 4.jpg
    MB 4.jpg
    280.7 KB · Views: 76
Thank you! Every time I have to tear down one of my filters, I can't remember how I did it the previous time and fight with it the whole way. Definitely bookmarking this.

Thank you! Every time I have to tear down one of my filters, I can't remember how I did it the previous time and fight with it the whole way. Definitely bookmarking this.
More than welcome, glad you find it beneficial.

I have 2 Aquaclear filters. I also have 2 Aqueon filters. I have an Aquaclear 90 and an Aqueon 75 on my 55 gallon tank and an Aquaclear 20 and an Aqueon 50 on my 20 gallon tank. The 55 contains a lone 5-6" Blood Parrot and the 20 contains a lone 2-3" Oranda Goldfish.

Only thing I will say is that the Aquaclear filters are FRAGILE. I removed the Aquaclear 90 from the tank to clean it one day and BARELY tapped it against the tank and it CRACKED! The filters are simply too expensive to be that fragile. I replaced it and simply do not remove it from the tank now. I have clean DROPPED my Aqueon and had it not be damaged at all... So it bothered me that the Aquaclear cracked so easily. Whatever that clear plastic is they make the Aquaclears with, is way more fragile than the black plastic the Aqueon is made of.

The Aquaclears have larger media baskets and they are seemingly a bit more efficient but they cost way more and are fragile in comparison.

AquaClear doesn't make a 90, that I'm aware of....perhaps you have an AC70, or an AC110?

Regardless, I have read from longtime fishkeepers on another site that the AC's over the years HAVE indeed been made more cheaply in recent years...I believe I read that Hagen used to make them years ago, and they were much more sturdy back then....or, maybe it was when Hagen bought them out that the quality went south (?)....something like that

Last edited:
Yes it is the 110. My apologies. It was sooooooo expensive and it CRACKED easily. But they are good filters overall.

The AquaClear filters are definitely pricey, but imo theyre worth it, especially if you shop around for a good deal. I get all my aquarium supplies from Petco, if you spend over $50 and pick up in store you get 25% off. The prices are decent, I waited for sales and was able to get 2 Marineland Penguin 250s for $18 each, plus 25% off because the rest of my order added up to over $50. My mom got two AquaClear 50s (which she gave to me when she was done with them) for $34 each!

Yes it is the 110. My apologies. It was sooooooo expensive and it CRACKED easily. But they are good filters overall.
You can buy just the housing, but you'll need to shop around...I've never used the 110's, only the 20's, 30's, and 70's, so I ASSUME you can get the housing for that size, as well....a friend had an AC70 and dropped it on the floor, breaking the housing...he gave me all of the other parts, and I bought just the housing, and it was much cheaper than a whole new filter....but this was a few years back

l am pretty sure AquaClear filters have a lifetime warranty on some parts, but only if you are the original owner and have a receipt. If you cracked the case during general handling, they might cover it under warranty. However, if you dropped the case on the ground, that could crack or break the plastic and they probably won't replace the case.

But definitely write to Hagen (they make AquaClear) and let them know the case appears brittle and was damaged when you did whatever. At the very least they will have a record of it and if other people make similar claims, they might do something to improve the resilience of the plastic.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back