FOMO (for fellow oldies that's "Fear Of Missing Out")

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
We should of mirrored what you done, fair play to the Gards turning ones back that had suitcases heading to Donegal for Easter.
My mum is now in a localised lockdown.

Dublin is in a lockdown now. It's nowhere as restrictive as back in April/May/June. But we've been given 5 levels and areas will move between them as needed. Everyone else is level 2, dublin 5.

Cycling is all the rage with covid :rofl: Halfords had all their bikes sold :rofl:

Yeah I've just been catching up, I'm in Cycling Ireland and Triathlon Ireland so get updates on how that affects our training.
My wife and I got really into sprint triathlons for a while. I miss them, but the training was just too time-consuming.

So, I read this, and perhaps someone could shed light on whether it's true: The custom of the wake dates back to the days before modern medical care. The corpse would be kept in someone's living room with a constant vigil over it for several days (which, of course, in Ireland would turn into a big party), just in case the victim was in a coma--we don't want to go burying anyone alive. If the victim failed to wake up during the allotted time, the funeral would proceed. Thus the term "wake." True or false?

I bought a bike few yrs with a basket but no gears. Terrible idea on rural roads. Did a 5km cycle abd nearly died :rofl: sat in garage since - I could probably sell it now with the new craze!

Pretty much everyone can speak some Irish. It's a core subject in primary & secondary level & requirement for most university courses. So while everyone doesn't speak it every day they have had a foundation in the language. My sister works through Irish. She teaches art but only speaking Irish. And she minds pre school children - again only speaking Irish.
I don’t speak Irish!

I do wish I had been taught a second language when I was younger... learning languages is sometime easier when you are younger.

My wife and I got really into sprint triathlons for a while. I miss them, but the training was just too time-consuming.

So, I read this, and perhaps someone could shed light on whether it's true: The custom of the wake dates back to the days before modern medical care. The corpse would be kept in someone's living room with a constant vigil over it for several days (which, of course, in Ireland would turn into a big party), just in case the victim was in a coma--we don't want to go burying anyone alive. If the victim failed to wake up during the allotted time, the funeral would proceed. Thus the term "wake." True or false?

No. It's all about the spirit. Irish people are very superstitious & before catholicism we were very pagan. The body is watched over to keep evil spirits away, the body washed (in the past not now), dressed. The vigil used to (and sometimes still) mean someone watches over the body, stays awake all night, to protect it from evil. Traditionally poems were read, songs sang, crying over the body. Now it's more a chance to see them, to kiss them goodbye. To sit around and share stories about their life, cry, laugh and joke too. Very bonding experience.

Wake just means prayer vigil. The prayer bit has become less important. In some places where viewing isn't usual the funeral wake is held after the burial.
Viewing is very much part of funerals I've been too. As a kid you'd be forced the kiss the body :/

I don’t speak Irish!

I do wish I had been taught a second language when I was younger... learning languages is sometime easier when you are younger.
Everyone in ireland who has been through the education system with Irish as a core language :rofl:

Viewing is very much part of funerals I've been too. As a kid you'd be forced the kiss the body :/
I was talking globally, but yes viewings at the home are the norm here but not so much in England.
(I was never forced to kiss a body and we let Kierans 9yo daughter decide if she wanted to say goodbye herself.)

A few months ago, one member's phone would not recognise the word guppy so kept it auto correcting it to fuplie. One of them escaped notice and appeared in a post. It is now the forum substitute for a swear word.

It's interesting how cultures so close can be so different. I was brought up in north west England and all we do is have a gathering after the funeral either in the bereaved's home or a pub/restaurant. When my mother died almost 2 years ago, her funeral was 13 days after she died; the earliest it could have been was 10 days after but I couldn't face a funeral on Christmas Eve.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back