Betta basics and care

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

""Never,ever pour old cup water into the new tank. um just wondering, why? all those steps are confusing!!!!!! lol""

When buying any fish from a local pet store (not just bettas), it is best to let the fish get used to the new tank temperature for at least 15min before releasing it into it's new home...Without using the water it originally came in.
Yes, you are supposed to use a little used water during your own tank changes, but fish do leave more ammonia and nitrates behind when stressed (from not eating as well as they should and leaving food behind, or just plain fish waste). In pet store conditions you never know what might be lurcking in that (usually icky blue) water. :crazy: Why keep it around?
So saving water from the store, bad idea. Saving water from your tanks, generally a good rule of thumb in reducing stress during tank changes....amung other things.
when I get one of those little cups with a betta in it from the store, I get home and pour it (fish and all) into a ziplock bag. I place the ziplock bag into the new tank for 15 min to get the fish used to the new temp. in order to reduce the chances of shock, then take my little net, fish the fish out, and disguard the rest...water and all.

platyperson said:
When you say that freeze dried food is bad for them,  then does that mean this food is bad
aswell?:http://www.seapets.co.uk/product-details/stkcode/661975.html
Modern living and busy lifestyle has made more people rely on dried foods (e.g. pellets, freeze-dried worms, flakes). The frequent feeding and overfeeding of such foods causes conditions like constipation and Swim Bladder Disorder (SBD); problems that a betta living in the wild would most probably not experience.

If a betta is on a mostly dried diet, it should be occasionally fed live foods (e.g. live brine shrimps) from a reliable source (so there is less risk of infection). Bettas could also be fed green peas (cooked, de-shelled and cut into bite-size portions) to prevent or treat constipation and SBD.

Do ensure that dried foods are properly stored to prevent them from turning mouldy.

Edit: It should also be noted that domesticated bettas tend to grow bigger than their wild counterparts because they are often fed a variety of nutritious foods and often in portions that are larger than what they'd get in the wild. However, being bigger need not necessarily mean that they are healthier. So, the amount to feed should be controlled.

Do green peas help bettas? Do you mean like, peas that you see on dinner tables? I would imagine "cutting" these would be kind of mushy, could you elaborate? Because I feed my betta Orchid those betta bio gold pellets, and freeze dried blood worms, and I don't want to hurt him.

OrkyBetta said:
Do green peas help bettas? Do you mean like, peas that you see on dinner tables? I would imagine "cutting" these would be kind of mushy, could you elaborate? Because I feed my betta Orchid those betta bio gold pellets, and freeze dried blood worms, and I don't want to hurt him.
You would boil some peas for a few seconds only. Then take the outer layer skin off so that the insides come out. After that you have to cut them into bite sizes or use your nail to cut some little pieces off. Just cut them to the size of the pellets you feed him. It is kind of mushy in the middle. You put your finger in the water with a little bit of the pea on it and it'll sink into the water. It's better to do it when your betta sees it because if he doesn't it'll just create a big mess in the water. I haven't seen a betta yet that doesn't like peas. I only feed mine about half of a pea a week to help with his digestion. (sp?)

my betta has all of a sudden got shredded fins.why?he has always been very healthy and this has more or less happened overnite.am very worried bout him.

could be biting his own fins
shows he's bored
you could get him some tankmates to interact with, or put a mirror next to his tank so he can flare at himself :)

Hi

Can someone please help.

I have a red/blue betta who has a red lump on his tail. Does anyone know what on earth is wrong with him and what if anything I can do to help. I'm really worried.

Thanks heaps

Hi

Can someone please help.

I have a red/blue betta who has a red lump on his tail. Does anyone know what on earth is wrong with him and what if anything I can do to help. I'm really worried.

Thanks heaps
You should start a new thread in the betta section of the forum to get an answer to your question. This thread is an old one that has been stuck up for reference.

Here:
http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?act=SF&s=&f=5

It was mentioned eariler that someone would "save" a betta. Please, no one go out and purchase a betta just to get them out of those horrible cups. There are better ways to go about changing the conditions they're kept in.

Write a letter to the store/supplier asking them to change the way they keep the fish. Ask family/friends to write letters, just to show that multiple people care about the living conditions of the fish. Be sure to have all your facts straight, or the store will disregard your letter.

Don't think that by purchasing a fish you're saving it, because by buying that fish, you are enouraging the store to replace it with another fish that will be kept in the same way. Letters and complaints are much more effective and keep you from ending up with a ton of "saved" fish.

I put me Betta in a 25 gallon tank. There he shares the tank with two nano's, one german blue ram and a bolivian ram. They all get on really well with each other.

The Betta swims from one end to the other and loves it. He likes watching the side of the tank when I'm watching tv. He always has his eyes on me the whole time. As soon as the lid lifts he wants some grub :hey:

I keep me tank 78 and feed him these little tiny ball things which say Betta food. I'll read the guide again tomorrow as I don't know too much about them :X

ps: I have a spare 2 gallon tank incase he gets picked on

I'm getting the prettiest betta!He's pink,blue,red and a little lavender.He's tiny though...not like 1/4 inch but like 1 inch,he's quite spry too.So, he's probably young.It's so pretty!

I have two bettas and three glofish living in the same tank. What is the best way to feed them? They just eat each other's food.

I have two bettas and three glofish living in the same tank. What is the best way to feed them? They just eat each other's food.

Post this in the betta section of the forum, you'll get a better response.

I must say though, you should NEVER keep bettas in pairs. Even if everything seems calm, it takes something as simple as a water change for one betta to get into a bad mood and tear the other one to shreds. Sometimes it doesn't even take that - you just wake up one day to find a dead betta (or two).

Females can be kept in groups, but they need to be LARGE groups of 6 or more. If kept in pairs, they can be just as aggressive as the males.

You should also never keep males with females, unless they are spawning. They are called siamese fighting fish for a reason.

Post this in the betta section of the forum, you'll get a better response.

I must say though, you should NEVER keep bettas in pairs. Even if everything seems calm, it takes something as simple as a water change for one betta to get into a bad mood and tear the other one to shreds. Sometimes it doesn't even take that - you just wake up one day to find a dead betta (or two).

Females can be kept in groups, but they need to be LARGE groups of 6 or more. If kept in pairs, they can be just as aggressive as the males.

You should also never keep males with females, unless they are spawning. They are called siamese fighting fish for a reason.

I appreciate your advice but my bettas have lived together for 11 months now. I think mine may be an exception. And isn't this the betta section of the forum?

Most reactions

trending

Back