FOMO (for fellow oldies that's "Fear Of Missing Out")

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I was taught Gaelic when I was at primary school many moons ago but Gaelic was only taught for a very short time before the teacher left for some reason!

So did not learn much, it was hard!! Anyway, have forgotten most of it now as folks never spoke Gaelic in the wee village that I grew up in!:lol:

This one tickled me

That you may be badly positioned on a windy day

Is badly positioned perhaps being up a ladder outside?
It means finding oneself upwind of the deer one is trying to stalk.

I didn’t realise Irish was taught as a language but I only found out Welsh was taught in certain schools in wales earlier this year , is there any benefits in teaching dying languages other than traditions?
There are a number of areas that speak it as a first language & more parents are opting for Irish language school so it's not dying. We've also set it as our official guest language meaning investment in the language. The benefit is that learning two languages helps with learning others. I don't know if any primary level school teaching 2 languages here that aren't Irish and English - as in 4 year olds aren't learning French.

Welsh is a good example as they've worked hard to protect their language. It's not simply tradition but part of our culture & national identity. If we were all speaking one language, all same, it'd be very boring :)

Where's all this bad language? There's been two warnings about it now and I feel like I'm missing all the fun threads :-(

In Irish language there isn't really swear words. There's some modern adaptations alright but swearing in Irish (Gaeilge) was actually more like literal cursing.

Like "may the bad weather leave with you!" Or "my cat's curse upon you" :rofl:

As none contain actual swear words I'll link some.

But in modern times Irish people swear a lot (in English).
The reason it was edited was because I forgot to lock it and had a lot of comments. Just moved original and reposted with the lock . That’s all. No bad language. :):)

There are a number of areas that speak it as a first language & more parents are opting for Irish language school so it's not dying. We've also set it as our official guest language meaning investment in the language. The benefit is that learning two languages helps with learning others. I don't know if any primary level school teaching 2 languages here that aren't Irish and English - as in 4 year olds aren't learning French.
Be amazing if the language got revived by the whole nation I think national heritage is important

Be amazing if the language got revived by the whole nation I think national heritage is important
Pretty much everyone can speak some Irish. It's a core subject in primary & secondary level & requirement for most university courses. So while everyone doesn't speak it every day they have had a foundation in the language. My sister works through Irish. She teaches art but only speaking Irish. And she minds pre school children - again only speaking Irish.

When I was 7 or 8 my Grandfather died and they had an Irish wake for him. I had a hard time at first understanding why everyone was singing in Gaeilge and drinking. He was on display in the living room and they were standing around him singing. After my mother explained why I understood and thought that was cool.

When I was 7 or 8 my Grandfather died and they had an Irish wake for him. I had a hard time at first understanding why everyone was singing in Gaeilge and drinking. He was on display in the living room and they were standing around him singing. After my mother explained why I understood and thought that was cool.
We're also a lot quicker when burying our dead, 3/4 days after passing is normal.

Funerals are a very big community tradition. Especially in rural areas. Almost everyone will come to the house, kiss the body, have food, etc. Then church and burial the next day. And more food and lots of drinking after the burial.

Well not at the moment, though they are bigger than they should be, I counted 30 in my brother in laws house on the night of his wake, fortunately just before this rule of six came in.

I really expected Limerick to get more restrictions. I'm sure there's more to come but quite relieved those 2km & 5km restrictions are over. Absolutely nothing near us but farms :rofl:

We should of mirrored what you done, fair play to the Gards turning ones back that had suitcases heading to Donegal for Easter.
My mum is now in a localised lockdown.

We use to own a home built in 1892. Big Victorian home. The original owners were Irish and we had a casket closet in the main room. It was long and narrow for a casket to fit in for wakes. Kind of cool and creepy at the same time.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back