Following The Cumbra Shootings, How Do You Feel About Firearm Laws In

gaz gun man

Fish Addict
Reaction score
EDIT - title should read: 'Following The Cumbra Shootings, How Do You Feel About Firearm Laws In the UK'

Do you even know what the firearm laws are at the moment?

I hope they dont further legislate firearm ownership in the UK.

I appreciate that those directly affected must feel feelings that are beyond description, however I strongly believe that further licencing is not the answer. Something made Derrick Bird snap, and if it wasnt a firearm and a shotgun he picked up, it would've been a car, a knife, a baseball bat or who knows what else...

My belief is that incidents like this are unavoidable. but I'm intrested to think what TFF thinks, regardless of where you're from.

Hi gaz gun man :)

It would be a big help to many of the members if you would fill us in about this. I haven't heard about it myself. Even a link to a news story would be good. Thanks. :D

it is without doubt a terrible terrible thing that has happened but changing fire arm laws wont stop it happening again people who are inclined to commit gun crimes will always be able to get guns on the black market at a price even after dumblain they banned hand guns but still to this day people get shot with them

It would be a big help to many of the members if you would fill us in about this. I haven't heard about it myself. Even a link to a news story would be good. Thanks. :D

hopefully this'll answer your questions:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1283764/CUMBRIA-SHOOTINGS-Derrick-Birds-son-agony-police-probe-reasons-massacre.html

Basically, a taxi driver in a rural area of England went nuts and killed 12 people at random with legally held firearms. This sort of thing happens very rarely in the UK, and the typical reaction by the government is to ban said firearms...it happened in 1988 after Hungerford (assault rifles banned) and again in 1997 after Dunblane (handguns for recreational use banned)

Despite the fact we have some of the toughest firearm laws in the world, even now, people are still calling for a 'closer look' into firearm ownership in the UK.

Being a UK firearm owner, this indirectly effects me, hence why I'm intrested to know what the general public think :)

it is without doubt a terrible terrible thing that has happened but changing fire arm laws wont stop it happening again people who are inclined to commit gun crimes will always be able to get guns on the black market at a price even after dumblain they banned hand guns but still to this day people get shot with them

I hope you're right! Unfortunately the events that unfolded over the past few days happened with legally held firearms, just like Hungerford and Dunblane suffered to licenced firearms.
After both of those events, firearm ownership was restricted even more so than before.

I wish to add, for our foreign readers, that Hungerford (1987) and Dunblane (1996) were our worst firearm related incidents until now, so firearm misuse is rare in this country.

Basically, a taxi driver in a rural area of England went nuts and killed 12 people at random with legally held firearms.

Apparently it was over a dispute of a will, one of the people he killed was apparently his twin brother.

I think possibly making people keep guns at a certain place ie, shooting range or maybe a controlled lock up that had to be signed in and out with reasons for use etc would be a good idea. Would help with the control of guns falling into the wrong hands or incidents like this incident occuring. I don't see the need to keep guns at home.

Thanks for the explanation.

Here in New York, handguns are by permit only and it's almost impossible to get one. Rifles and shotguns are OK though. I would hate for anyone to take that right away from us and I can well understand why you would too. :nod: I'll be following this to see what happens.

Why do you even need a gun, I don't understand. Just leave them how they are I think, no need to make them lighter or harsher, I think we have the right balance at the moment, we don't want to end up like America.

This was a one off incident from a psychotic man who I hope is rotting in hell (or where-ever an evil person like that goes).

hi, i agree that we don't need any more restrictions. David Cameron has said that he is against any new restrictions being put in place, so there is some hope. :good: i disagree that we should have to sign them in and out. it will only affect the law abiding citizens that wouldn't go around killing people anyway. if someone wants a gun, they could get one whether they're legal or not. and ace, we don't NEED guns, but shooting is a sport enjoyed by many people, including myself, and also helps greatly with controlling numbers of rabbits and pigeons etc, which would, if left uncontrolled, destroy farmland.

cheers :good:

they should just ban them outright, we're getting more and more nutjobs these days would be better long run

Basically, a taxi driver in a rural area of England went nuts and killed 12 people at random with legally held firearms.

Apparently it was over a dispute of a will, one of the people he killed was apparently his twin brother.

I think possibly making people keep guns at a certain place ie, shooting range or maybe a controlled lock up that had to be signed in and out with reasons for use etc would be a good idea. Would help with the control of guns falling into the wrong hands or incidents like this incident occuring. I don't see the need to keep guns at home.

What about people that hunt? (such as myself) considering I hunt over private land, where am I supposed to keep my firearm(s)? At a local police station maybe?

What would stop someone taking their firearms out of storage and then using them for illegal purposes?

I can see where you're coming from, regarding using firearms/shotguns on ranges, however you cant tell one shotgun owner he cannot see his shotgun unless he intends to use it on a range, and another owner that he has free and unrestricted access to it. How do you think it would work for drivers? You can own a car yet you have to sign it in and out of a controlled area, whilst your next door neighbour has his outside his house to use whenever he wants.

Before you think I am over-reacting, think of the potential damage a driver can do with their vehicle, its on par (atleast) with someone that misuses firearms.

Thanks for the explanation.

Here in New York, handguns are by permit only and it's almost impossible to get one. Rifles and shotguns are OK though. I would hate for anyone to take that right away from us and I can well understand why you would too. :nod: I'll be following this to see what happens.

No worries.

Heres hoping our government is sensible enough to realise people use firearms for legit reasons, and not to just break the law.

Why do you even need a gun, I don't understand. Just leave them how they are I think, no need to make them lighter or harsher, I think we have the right balance at the moment, we don't want to end up like America.

This was a one off incident from a psychotic man who I hope is rotting in hell (or where-ever an evil person like that goes).

I agree, our laws could never mirror those of somewhere like the US, our cultures are too different, however firearms ARE needed here, because it is a legal obligation for land owners to control pest species on their property.

Not to mention that handguns are still legal as humane dispatch tools all over England - Basically, unless you understand the way of the countryside, you would be asking yourself why should anyone need a firearm/shotgun?

People just dont understand - listen to the description that a member of the public gave when witnessing the Cumbrian misuse of firearms as an example

they should just ban them outright, we're getting more and more nutjobs these days would be better long run

Do you have any evidence of this? I'd be very intrested to hear it. As far as I know, Hungerford, Dunblane and now Cumbria are the only events where firearms have been seriously misused to an extent where multiple people have unfortulately lost their lives.

Shame about the shootings fairly close to home, as for the gun laws; i think they're fairly stringent now,it's good that they do lots of checks on the people before issuing them guns. The issue with guns is the amount illegally sold in the uk and end up in idiots hands who use them to show off, intermidate people etc. Not to bad normally in cumbria but you here alot about london/liverpool etc where gun crime is an issue, the gun crime is most likely all illegal firearms.

Sorry i cannot see why someone needs to own a gun in the uk??

I would not have the first idea on how to load/shoot a gun and dont really want to...But i agree that if it was'nt a gun it would be something else, someone down here recently snapped and mowed his wife and child down with a car. If there going to do something they will use whatever is avalible

just had same arguement with my wife
not a firearm owner myself bnut I work in crime and know that guns are pretty easy to find and buy and I;m alarmed at how many lads I deal with have them and use them.... not necessarily on people but for kudos, power, threats etc.

I'd be pretty confidenmt that the majority of gun crime/violence in this country involves non licensed guns. If thats the case then what would altering the gun laws achieve?

drugs are illegal but theres plenty about and being used

Most reactions

Back