Fluval U Series Internal Filter Review

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

JamieH

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi all,

I just received 2 fluval U4 internal filters.

So far i'm really pleased with them. The build quality seems very high. They look good, too.

There is a lot of media in them (for an internal filter) as they each have 2 x foam blocks, 2 x carbon / fine sponges and a central chamber filled with biomax. It's almost like having a mini-external filter in your tank!

I'm also really pleased with the design features... firstly, you can choose between 2 filter 'jet' outlets, one at the top of the filter and one at the bottom. There's also a vertical spraybar mechanism, which you can choose to point 1 of 3 ways. Finally, the whole filter sits in a very sturdy bracket and hinges forward to be completely removed from the tank for cleaning. You can also just open a flap at the top and slide out the individual cartridges when a full clean out isn't required.

So far, then, i couldn't be happier. I've got one at the each end of my planted tank - one with the bottom outlet and one with the top. this is giving me huge circulation in the tank... probably too much, so i may swap to the spraybars.

All in all, a HUGE improvement over the old fluvals... which were really just a cosmetic upgrade of a very old design. I have the eheim aquaball internals on another tanke and these just blow them away.

Pictures to follow.

one small point... you must mount these filters so that the top of the canister is above the water line - the inside of the filer is open, and if you completely submerge them, there is significantly opportunity for bypass to occur.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back