Fluval FX4 intake tube is too long

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

litenup71

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,
Newbie here looking for a solution to my filter problem. I'm not totally new to fishtanks but I am new to the land of canister filters! I decided to spend the money on the Fluval FX4 after doing a ton of research and I'm sure it will will be a great filter, but I'm so scared to screw up installation that I don't know yet!! It recommends having the intake tube about 2-3" above the substrate (still to be determined) but in my 75 gallon tank the tube is so long I can't possibly keep it at the proper height!
Is it possible to cut the tube in some way to make it short enough to fit?
I don't want to make a dumb mistake and ruin this filter!
Thanks for any advice!!

You can remove the extension hose and attach the grate to the main hose.
Thats what I did with my fx4 in my 55g (shallower even than a 75g)

Are you talking about the intake?

The tube it is on is telescopic. In 75 gallon it is easy to use. I run mine.right at the sub. But it can be much shorter or longer. The inner tube is telescopic. Then you just cut your hoses to length once everything is installed, leaving no dips, and be sure to follow the directions.on.priming and away ya go.

20201216_154658.jpg

Most plastic pipes can be cut with a hacksaw (use a fine tooth blade) or a box cutter. A hacksaw is safer and does a better job. Don't apply too much pressure when cutting through the pipe, just let the fine teeth slowly work their way through.

Hello Everyone,
Newbie here looking for a solution to my filter problem. I'm not totally new to fishtanks but I am new to the land of canister filters! I decided to spend the money on the Fluval FX4 after doing a ton of research and I'm sure it will will be a great filter, but I'm so scared to screw up installation that I don't know yet!! It recommends having the intake tube about 2-3" above the substrate (still to be determined) but in my 75 gallon tank the tube is so long I can't possibly keep it at the proper height!
Is it possible to cut the tube in some way to make it short enough to fit?
I don't want to make a dumb mistake and ruin this filter!
Thanks for any advice!!

Your going to have to cut parts of both tubes, one connects to the hose (the one with no lines, and the other tube connects to the strainer (one with lines). It will be loose and easy to take apart after cutting. But because it's an intake it won't come apart.

Attachments

• 20230819_230426.jpg
    20230819_230426.jpg
    389.5 KB · Views: 60
Your going to have to cut parts of both tubes, one connects to the hose (the one with no lines, and the other tube connects to the strainer (one with lines). It will be loose and easy to take apart after cutting. But because it's an intake it won't come apart.
This is a really old thread so you might not get a reply from the OP but.... I need to cut mine a little as otherwise it will suck up the sand as its too close so very helpful and good timing!

Just to check though if I cut the piece that connects to the pipe from where you say will it still connect to the other piece ok?

Wills

This is a really old thread so you might not get a reply from the OP but.... I need to cut mine a little as otherwise it will suck up the sand as its too close so very helpful and good timing!

Just to check though if I cut the piece that connects to the pipe from where you say will it still connect to the other piece ok?

Wills

But people are still looking cause i was, and I did mine yesterday. FX 6 wasn't made for a shallow tank, and it's probably overkill. I use it for an aquatic turtle which are very messy. don't cut it from where anything connects just the other side. But no matter what your gonna have to cut both tubes. Cause that strainer is too dam large. There custom made strainer on etsy or i think people use a different strainer from an Enheim if i spelled that correctly.

I can see the benefit! There is a shop on etsy that sells a double sided sponge filter fitting that acts as a prefilter which is a good idea too.

When I fitted mine I decided to cut the top tube in the above photo in the same place as @FILIPINOY79 but on the bottom pipe in the photo I cut the other end and managed to get the connection bit of rubber over the thicker bit of the pipe - I did it this way as I didnt think the inner pipe would grip as well without the left part of that tube in the photo. It's kind of like a ratchet effect.

With hindsight I'd have tried to find the FX5 fitting as that wasnt telescopic - just a single piece of tube that you could cut and it would still connect.

Wills

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back